Late Own Goal Dooms Rapids
It was a disaster scenario for the Colorado Rapids in Minnesota. The Rapids held a draw until the very end but an own goal from Lalas Abubakar in the 89th minute gave Minnesota United FC a late 2-1 win.
The Loons were dealt a blow early on as Osvaldo Alonso needed to be substituted off due to injury. The skipper had been back in the lineup for just over a week but was forced to leave the pitch in tears at the 28th minute, replaced by Jacori Hayes.
Robin Lod opened the score at the 44th minute. Following a Cole Bassett turnover in midfield, Emanuel Reynoso had a wide open lane down the middle to send a trough pass for Lod. The Finland international found himself in perfect position inside the box to beat William Yarbrough with a solid shot and bring the Loons up by one right before halftime.
The Rapids found an equalizer at the 69th minute courtesy of Andre Shinyashiki. In a play which saw the ball make its way from the left to the right side of the box, the reigning MLS Rookie of the Year received the ball from Diego Rubio and beat Dayne St. Clair who had stepped off his line.
Yarbrough denied Minnesota a golden opportunity to notch a go-ahead goal at the 80th minute. Kevin Molino received a back pass from Lod on the left flank. The Trinidad and Tobago international took a strike from just above the penalty spot but the Rapids goalkeeper made a tremendous save to keep both teams tied.
The Loons finally found their game-winner, by way of an own goal with a few minutes left in the game. Ethan Finlay zoomed through the right flank and tried to connect with Raheem Edwards with a powerful cross. Abubakar got his head on the ball first but the center back redirected Finlay's cross into his own net, giving Minnesota the victory.
44' - MIN - Robin Lod
69' - COL - Andre Shinyashiki | WATCH
89' - MIN - Lalas Abubakar (OG)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 28, 2020
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Win Second Straight with 2-1 over Rapids at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Earns 2-1 Comeback Win against Inter Miami CF at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Clinches Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Earns 4-1 Win over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: Toronto FC 0 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Falls 4-1 at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- FCC wrap five-season run at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Clinch 11th-Straight MLS Cup Playoff Berth; Defeat New England, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Fall, 1-0, to New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Late Own Goal Dooms Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Seals Playoff Berth in Win at FC Cincinnati - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Confirms COVID-19 Case - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Statement on Reto Ziegler - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Face Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS to Honor Top Rising Star with the AT&T Young Player of the Year Award - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - MLS
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Playoff Clinching Scenarios: Wednesday, October 28 - Nashville SC
- Ruidiaz and Lodeiro Goals Clinch 12th Straight Postseason Berth for Sounders FC in 2-0 Win over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville SC Beats Montreal Impact 1-0, Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four as Playoff Race Heats Up - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020