Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road
Inter Miami CF fell to a narrow 2-1 loss to FC Dallas in a midweek match at Toyota Stadium.
"I think that we did things well for moments in the second half. The penalty put them in the match a lot more because we were dominating the spaces and it was a calm match. I think the penalty put them back in it and from there they grew into the match and had more chances," said manager Diego Alonso. "We'll try to adjust for the next match. We're still in a fight for the playoffs and we have two more matches. So, we have a lot of hope, we have dreams and we'll try to achieve them."
Inter Miami lined up for the match with all three Designated Players in the starting XI for the first time, as the trio of Gonzalo HiguaÃn, MatÃas Pellegrini and Rodolfo Pizarro had only featured together in a 23 minute came at the end of the team's Oct. 3 matchup with NYCFC.
John McCarthy was called into action in the 17th minute and the goalkeeper was up to the task, diving and slapping away a threatening header from Dallas defender Ryan Hollingshead after a set piece delivery found him in the box.
In the 28th minute Inter Miami was forced into an early change, subbing on Dylan Nealis for the injured NicolÃ¡s Figal.
In the 33rd minute, Inter Miami found their breakthrough goal as the team's three Designated Players combined to put the visitors ahead 0-1; Pellegrini recovered possession and quickly passed the ball ahead to HiguaÃn, who then played a clever pass between defenders and into Pizarro in the box. The Mexican international calmly claimed the pass, waited for his moment, and struck a low shot across the keeper and into the back of the net. The goal was Pizarro's fourth of the season, tied for the second-most on the team, while HiguaÃn and Pellegrini registered their second and fourth assists, respectively.
FC Dallas responded in the second half, finding an equalizing goal from the penalty spot after the referee blew his whistle for a foul in the box. Argentine forward Franco Jara stepped up and scored the penalty, tying the match at 1-1.
In the 82nd minute, Dallas claimed the lead through a goal by Hollingshead. Right back Bryan Reynolds played a ball across the face of goal from the endline that found its way to Hollingshead, who turned it into the net to make it 2-1.
Despite efforts from Inter Miami, the match finished with the 2-1 scoreline. Inter Miami remains in playoff position, holding onto the last spot with 21 points.
Inter Miami will travel for its final regular season away match Sunday, Nov. 1, at 7:30 p.m. ET when the team faces Toronto FC at Rentschler Field.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 28, 2020
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Win Second Straight with 2-1 over Rapids at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Earns 2-1 Comeback Win against Inter Miami CF at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Clinches Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Earns 4-1 Win over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: Toronto FC 0 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Falls 4-1 at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- FCC wrap five-season run at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Clinch 11th-Straight MLS Cup Playoff Berth; Defeat New England, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Fall, 1-0, to New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Late Own Goal Dooms Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Seals Playoff Berth in Win at FC Cincinnati - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Confirms COVID-19 Case - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Statement on Reto Ziegler - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Face Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS to Honor Top Rising Star with the AT&T Young Player of the Year Award - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - MLS
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Playoff Clinching Scenarios: Wednesday, October 28 - Nashville SC
- Ruidiaz and Lodeiro Goals Clinch 12th Straight Postseason Berth for Sounders FC in 2-0 Win over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville SC Beats Montreal Impact 1-0, Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four as Playoff Race Heats Up - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF Stadium to Host U.S. Men's National Team vs. El Salvador on December 9
- Kicking off Year Two with Inter Miami CF Academy Presented by Baptist Health
- Alonso and DeLaGarza Thank Fans for Support Throughout Inaugural Season
- Inter Miami CF Closes Inaugural Season with Road Playoff Loss
- Diego Alonso and Wil Trapp Ready for the Challenge