Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo begin a two-game road trip later today in Southern California against Los Angeles Football Club. This is the second meeting between both teams after a 3-3 draw on July 13 to open the MLS is Back Tournament in Florida.
Houston looks to snap a four-game winless streak after they were held to a 1-1 draw on Saturday at BBVA Stadium against Columbus. Dynamo Academy product Memo Rodriguez scored his fifth goal of the season and gave Houston the lead in the first half. This was the second time Rodriguez scored in back-to-back games since 2019, and the forward looks to score in a third consecutive game for the second time in his MLS career. The Texas native has a combined eight goals and assists this season, the second highest mark for the Dynamo this year. The winger scored his first goal of the season against LAFC and finished with a brace in the first meeting between both clubs earlier this year.
LAFC enter Wednesday's game in fourth place with 28 points after a 2-0 victory over the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday. With their victory on Sunday, LAFC have won three of their last five games and has outscored opponents 10-5 in that stretch.
Houston will visit Frisco on Saturday for the fourth and final leg of the Texas Derby during the regular season. Houston can clinch the Derby with a victory and Saturday's match will be the final road game of the season for Houston in the regular season. The Dynamo close the 2020 regular season on Sunday, Nov. 8 against the Colorado Rapids at BBVA Stadium.
WHO: Houston Dynamo vs. Los Angeles FC
WHEN: Wednesday, Oct. 28 - 9:30 p.m. CDT
TV: QuestTexas ch. 55 (Glenn Davis, Eddie Robinson)
TelExitos ch. 47.2 (Alex Parra and Daniela Rodriguez)
RADIO: TUDN Radio Houston 1010 AM (Daniel Mejia and Lester Gretsch)
Here are three key points ahead of today's game:
DYNAMO BACKLINE FACE TOUGH TEST: The Dynamo backline will be tasked with containing the highest scoring team in the league. Los Angeles has scored 42 goals this season and 25 of those tallies have been scored at Banc of California Stadium. Dynamo goalkeeper Marko Maric will play large role in containing LAFC and the Houston shot stopper currently leads the Western Conference in saves with 66. Houston will also look to Maynor Figueroa for key plays and the Honduran International leads the team in clearances with 69, interceptions with 34 and recoveries with 112.
NINE POINTS LEFT FOR FINAL PUSH: The Dynamo enter the final regular season road trip of the season with nine points to play for. Houston currently sit three points from the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The next two opponents for the Dynamo currently sit in a playoff position and a victory tonight would be the first in the regular season series with LAFC. The Dynamo will look to snap a four-game winless run this evening and return to a playoff spot for the first time since Sept. 14.
VELA RETURNS AFTER MCL INJURY: Carlos Vela returned to action after missing time since Aug. 25 with a grade 2 MCL injury. The Mexican international scored in his return to give LAFC three points against their cross-town rivals on Sunday. The 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP winner missed the first meeting between both clubs earlier this summer, which finished in a 3-3 draw in the opening game of the MLS is Back Tournament.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 28, 2020
- Inter Miami CF Falls to FC Dallas 2-1 on the Road - Inter Miami CF
- Cory Burke scores game winner: Union remain first place in Eastern Conference - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Win Second Straight with 2-1 over Rapids at Home - Minnesota United FC
- FC Dallas Earns 2-1 Comeback Win against Inter Miami CF at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case - Los Angeles FC
- D.C. United Win 1-0 against Columbus Crew SC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Clinches Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Orlando City Earns 4-1 Win over Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Notes & Quotes: Toronto FC 0 - 1 New York City FC - New York City FC
- 10-Man Chicago Fire Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Philadelphia Union at Subaru Park - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Falls 4-1 at Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- FCC wrap five-season run at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Clinch 11th-Straight MLS Cup Playoff Berth; Defeat New England, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Match Summary - Toronto FC
- Revolution Fall, 1-0, to New York Red Bulls - New England Revolution
- Late Own Goal Dooms Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting Seals Playoff Berth in Win at FC Cincinnati - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Confirms COVID-19 Case - Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Statement on Reto Ziegler - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Face Real Salt Lake Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS to Honor Top Rising Star with the AT&T Young Player of the Year Award - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Josh Williams Suspended - MLS
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Carlos Vela and LAFC to Open Road Trip - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville SC Playoff Clinching Scenarios: Wednesday, October 28 - Nashville SC
- Ruidiaz and Lodeiro Goals Clinch 12th Straight Postseason Berth for Sounders FC in 2-0 Win over Vancouver - Seattle Sounders FC
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Nashville SC Beats Montreal Impact 1-0, Extends Unbeaten Streak to Four as Playoff Race Heats Up - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC Exercise 2021 Contract Options on 10 Players
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty