Buffalo Sabres Recall Forward Phil Varone
(Rochester, NY)... The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has recalled forward Phil Varone from the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League (AHL). The team also announced it has assigned defenseman Brayden McNabb and forward Kevin Porter to Rochester.
Varone (12/4/90, 5'10", 185 lbs) joins the Sabres for his first career call-up after joining the Americans on a one-year AHL contract prior to the 2011-12 season and then subsequently signing a three-year, entry-level NHL contract in March 2012. Since his breakout season in 2011-12, in which he led the Amerks in scoring with 52 points (11+41) through 76 regular-season games, Varone has recorded 120 points (30+90) in 176 career AHL games played. Varone again leads the 2013-14 Amerks in scoring with 33 points (8+25) through 38 games.
Prior to joining the Amerks in 2011-12, Varone played five seasons in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), with stints with the Kitchener Rangers, London Knights and Erie Otters. The Vaughn, Ontario native was drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the fifth round (147th overall) of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2014
- Texas Slips by Iowa 4-3 in a Shootout - Iowa Wild
- Kings Announce Trade - Manchester Monarchs
- 'Pink the Rink' Details Announced - Utica Comets
- Top 10 Moments Thus Far - Utica Comets
- Vey and Pearson Return to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Make Trio of Roster Moves - Springfield Falcons
- Minnesota Returns Gustafsson to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Lower Bowl Sold Out, Bulldogs Open Upper Bowl For Friday's Battle Of Ontario With Marlies - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Buffalo Sabres Recall Forward Phil Varone - Rochester Americans
- 2014-2015 Season Ticket Plans On-Sale this Saturday - Binghamton Senators
- Beck Recalled by Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Toronto Marlies Weekly - Toronto Marlies
- Falcons to Visit, Present Check to Baystate - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Announce Reduced Parking Rates at AESC - Abbotsford Heat
- Pioneer Valley Credit Union to Sponsor 'Goals for Groceries' Campaign - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Marlies Fall 3-2 in Milwaukee - Toronto Marlies
- Admirals Power Past Marlies 3-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.