Bohm's Bomb Breaks Tie; Claws Pull Away to 10-5 Win in Rome
ROME, GA - Alec Bohm broke a 2-2 tie with an opposite field home run in the top of the seventh and the BlueClaws went on to a ___ win over Rome on Monday night at State Mutual Stadium.
Bohm, the third overall pick in last year's draft, hit his second home run of the season. The ball went over the right field wall on a 1-2 pitch and gave Bohm his second professional home run and marked his third straight multi-hit game.
Lakewood added five more runs in the eighth inning, getting an RBI double from Jonathan Guzman, an RBI double from Rafael Marchan, and an RBI single from Bohm. Plus, two scored on a Braves throwing error. A Luis Garcia SAC fly in the ninth got the BlueClaws to 10 runs for the first time this year.
Tyler Carr, who got the last four outs, earned his first professional save while Jhordany Mezquita, who gave up two runs in 2.2 innings, got the win for Lakewood (5-13).
Rome opened the scoring in the second inning on an RBI double from Brendan Venter. Trey harris, who had singled, scored on a wild pitch in the third to put the Braves up 2-0.
Lakewood starter Dominic Pipkin came out after three innings, allowing two runs on four walks and two strikeouts.
Malvin Matos hit his first home run of the season in the fourth inning and Carlos De La Cruz added an RBI single later in the inning to the the game.
Braves starter Yaseel De La Cruz gave up two runs, one earned, over six innings with a walk and four strikeouts.
Bohm and Marchan had two hits apiece for Lakewood while Matt Kroon and Luis Garcia had two hits each.
The teams continue their series on Tuesday night at 7:00 pm. RHP Victor Santos (1-1) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Jose Olague (1-2).
Images from this story
Alec Bohm of the Lakewood BlueClaws
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Lakewood Defeats Rome 10-5 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Back to Winning Ways over Asheville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sanchez Goes Hitless as Dogs Drop Homestand Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Chandler Strikes out 10 in 5-0 Win - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Legends Drop Game One to Greensboro - Lexington Legends
- Big Inning Sends Shorebirds Past Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Bohm's Bomb Breaks Tie; Claws Pull Away to 10-5 Win in Rome - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rivera Earns First Professional Win to Start Road Trip - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Drop Series Opener at Hagerstown on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Cate Dominant in 6-2 Win over Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Almonte and Ornelas Double in Loss to Augusta - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 22 at West Virginia (Game 17) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ryan Rolison Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- MiLB UMPS Care Charities Launches 11th Annual Auction Featuring MiLB Experiences - SAL
- Game Notes (April 22) - West Virginia Power
- Homestand #2 Preview - April 22-28 - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.