Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia
CHARLESTON, WV - Outside of one rocky inning, Columbia's pitchers fared well on Monday night against West Virginia. The Power ignited for four runs in the third frame, though, and defeated the Fireflies, 5-0, in the series opener at Appalachian Power Park.
Columbia (7-10) hurlers wound up striking out 12 West Virginia (10-6) batters. Jose Butto (L, 0-3) took the defeat after allowing four runs in the third. Outside of that inning, the 21-year-old Venezuelan didn't pitch half bad. For a third straight start, Butto did not walk anyone. The righty punchd out five.
Columbia's relievers - Bryce Hutchinson, Jose Moreno and Darwin Ramos - combined to heave four scoreless innings. Butto and the trio of relievers struck out 12 Power hitters and walked just two.
West Virginia starter Clay Chandler (W, 2-0) had quite the day on the mound. The right-hander fanned 10 over five shut-out innings.
Not to be forgotten, Mets prospect Shervyen Newton was added to the Fireflies roster and made his debut on Monday. Newton becomes the seventh Mets prospect on Columbia's roster (as rated by Baseball America and MLB.com).
Bottom 2: Cesar Trejo plates Jake Anchia with a double. WV 1, COL 0
Bottom 3: Jarred Kelenic knocks in a run with a base hit to left ... Onil Pena drives in Kelenic with a double ... Joseph Rosa hits two-run homer over right-field wall. WV 5, COL 0
Columbia continues its series against West Virginia on Tuesday evening.
PROBABLES: RHP Jaison Vilera (Columbia) vs. RHP Ryne Inman (West Virginia)
FIRST PITCH: 4/23/19, 7:05 ET
LOCATION: Appalachian Power Park - Charleston, WV
TUNE IN: FirefliesLiveStream.com
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Lakewood Defeats Rome 10-5 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Back to Winning Ways over Asheville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sanchez Goes Hitless as Dogs Drop Homestand Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Chandler Strikes out 10 in 5-0 Win - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Legends Drop Game One to Greensboro - Lexington Legends
- Big Inning Sends Shorebirds Past Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Bohm's Bomb Breaks Tie; Claws Pull Away to 10-5 Win in Rome - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rivera Earns First Professional Win to Start Road Trip - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Drop Series Opener at Hagerstown on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Cate Dominant in 6-2 Win over Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Almonte and Ornelas Double in Loss to Augusta - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 22 at West Virginia (Game 17) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ryan Rolison Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- MiLB UMPS Care Charities Launches 11th Annual Auction Featuring MiLB Experiences - SAL
- Game Notes (April 22) - West Virginia Power
- Homestand #2 Preview - April 22-28 - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Chicharrones de Columbia to Return in 2020
- Fireflies Launch 36 Hour Flash Sale for All 2020 Fireworks Games
- Fireflies Announce 2020 Game Times and Promotional Highlights
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"