Big Inning Sends Shorebirds Past Tourists
SALISBURY - The Asheville Tourists attempted to hand the first place Delmarva Shorebirds their first home loss of the 2019 season on Monday night but could not hold their lead late. Delmarva rallied for four runs in the bottom of the seventh to defeat Asheville 5-2 and move to 8-0 at home.
The Tourists nearly escaped the seventh inning unscathed on more than one occasion. The Shorebirds were down to their final strike in the inning a few times, but a walk, two hit-by-pitches, a wild pitch, a passed ball, and a bases-clearing, two-out double all happened before Asheville could record the third out.
Prior to the seventh, the Tourists hung step-for-step with the league's top team. Asheville took a 2-0 lead in the top of the third on a two-out, two-run single by Coco Montes. The Shorebirds answered with one in the bottom half; however, Asheville was able to hold a 2-1 lead most of the way.
Nick Bush went five innings in his second start of the season and scattered six hits on one run while striking out three. Jake Bird pitched well in the sixth but ran into trouble in the seventh. Boby Johnson helped close out the seventh and worked a one, two, three eighth.
The last three Tourists losses, one to Hickory, one to West Virginia, and this one to Delmarva, have all seen Asheville build a multi-run lead early in the game. However, the Tourists did overcome a two-run deficit in their most recent victory.
Game two of the road trip is scheduled for Tuesday night where Asheville will once again look to hand the Shorebirds their first home loss of the season. The first pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 22, 2019
- Lakewood Defeats Rome 10-5 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Back to Winning Ways over Asheville - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Sanchez Goes Hitless as Dogs Drop Homestand Opener - Charleston RiverDogs
- Chandler Strikes out 10 in 5-0 Win - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Legends Drop Game One to Greensboro - Lexington Legends
- Big Inning Sends Shorebirds Past Tourists - Asheville Tourists
- Bohm's Bomb Breaks Tie; Claws Pull Away to 10-5 Win in Rome - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Rivera Earns First Professional Win to Start Road Trip - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Stumbles in Opener to West Virginia - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Drop Series Opener at Hagerstown on Monday - Greenville Drive
- Cate Dominant in 6-2 Win over Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Almonte and Ornelas Double in Loss to Augusta - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: April 22 at West Virginia (Game 17) - Columbia Fireflies
- Ryan Rolison Named South Atlantic League Pitcher of the Week - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- MiLB UMPS Care Charities Launches 11th Annual Auction Featuring MiLB Experiences - SAL
- Game Notes (April 22) - West Virginia Power
- Homestand #2 Preview - April 22-28 - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.