Blues Defensive Stand Fuels Comeback Win
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Oklahoma City Blue used a defensive stand in the fourth quarter to fight back and defeat the Austin Spurs, 95-91, at Cedar Park Center on Friday. Oklahoma City Thunder forward Mitch McGary posted 14 points on 7-of-10 shooting alongside six rebounds.
The Blue trailed by as many 13 in the first half, but chipped away at the Spurs throughout the second half. With the deficit cut down to four with just over six minutes remaining, the Blue went on a 12-0 run to go ahead 95-87 and put Oklahoma City in position to start the second half of the season with a road win. The Blue outscored Austin 12-4 in the final six minutes while holding the Spurs to 2-of-10 shooting.
Dakari Johnson led the Blue offense with 17 points on 8-of-13 shooting and nine rebounds. JP Tokoto tallied 14 points and five boards and Talib Zanna scored 10 points with seven rebounds. Boubacar Moungoro scored 11 points off the bench, including eight in the fourth quarter.
Austin opened the game by outscoring Oklahoma City 32-28 in the opening quarter. The Spurs built their lead with a 12-2 run in the early second period and took a 53-45 lead into halftime before the Blue mounted its comeback efforts.
Oklahoma City (12-22) pulled down 47 rebounds and shot 46.9 percent from the field.
Austin (20-13) was led by Keifer Sykes with 28 points, six assists and five rebounds.
The Blue and Spurs face off again for their second of four meetings in a nine-day stretch, tipping off at 7 p.m. CT on YouTube. For more information, visit OklahomaCityBlue.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 19, 2016
- McGruder, Skyforce Down BayHawks 105-91 - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Legends Jammed at Home - Texas Legends
- Blues Defensive Stand Fuels Comeback Win - Oklahoma City Blue
- Devin Ebanks Scores 32 as Grand Rapids Holds off Idaho, 99-96 - Grand Rapids Drive
- Austin Spurs Edged by Oklahoma City Blue 95-91 - Austin Spurs
- Jam Top Legends 119-106 - Bakersfield Jam
- Westchester Knicks Carry Momentum in Win over Iowa Energy - Westchester Knicks
- Iowa Energy Fall to the Westchester Knicks - Iowa Wolves
- Green Rejoins the Bighorns - Reno Bighorns
- Iowa Energy Announce Two Player Acquisitions - Iowa Wolves
- Raptors 905 Acquires Fourth-Round Pick in Three-Team Trade - Raptors 905
- Jam Acquire Joel Wright in Three-Team Deal - Bakersfield Jam
- Red Claws Win 5th Straight Game - Maine Red Claws
- Rockets Assign Sam Dekker to Rio Grande Valley - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Pelicans Sign Bryce Dejean-Jones - Idaho Stampede
- Mitch McGary Assigned to Oklahoma City Blue - Oklahoma City Blue
- Warriors Topped by Los Angeles - Santa Cruz Warriors
- D-Fenders Beat Warriors Behind Harper's Season-High - Los Angeles D-Fenders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.