BlueClaws Topple Rome 3-2 on Tuesday for Second Straight Win
ROME, GA - BlueClaws pitchers combined for 16 strikeouts and Cole Stobbe drove in two runs as the BlueClaws toppled Rome 3-2 on Tuesday night at State Mutual Stadium.
The BlueClaws (6-13) have now won the first two in their three-game series with the Braves (6-12).
Francisco Morales came on in the sixth with a 3-2 lead and struck out seven over three scoreless innings. Robinson Martinez came on for the ninth, walked the leadoff batter, but struck out the next three to earn his second save.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the second on an RBI double from Stobbe and added an RBI single from Jonathan Guzman for a 2-0 lead. Stobbe drew a bases loaded walk in the third inning to give the BlueClaws a 3-0 lead.
Greg Cullen got the Braves on the board with a two-run double down the left field line in the bottom of the third to bring the Braves within 3-2. Cullen's double, however, would be the last hit allowed by Victor Santos, who got the last eight hitters he faced.
Santos (2-1) gave up two runs in five innings, allowing four hits and striking out six.
Rome starter Jose Olaque (1-3) gave up three runs in three innings while walking four without a strikeout.
Rafael Marchan had his second straight three-hit game for Lakewood while Carlos De La Cruzand Stobbe added two hits apiece.
The teams finish their series on Wednesday morning at 10:30 am. RHP Kevin Gowdy (0-0) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Trey Riley (0-3).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 23, 2019
- Late Eruption Backs 'Birds in Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Braves Bats Silenced in 3-2 Loss to BlueClaws - Rome Braves
- Rhythm Eludes RiverDogs in Second Straight Loss - Charleston RiverDogs
- Lackey Strong But Tourists Still Fall Short - Asheville Tourists
- Rheams Goes Yard, Extends Hit Streak in Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Legends Fall in Game Two to Grasshoppers - Lexington Legends
- BlueClaws Topple Rome 3-2 on Tuesday for Second Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Drive and Suns Suspended on Tuesday - Greenville Drive
- Hickory Pitches Their Way to 3-2 Victory - Augusta GreenJackets
- Pair of Homers Propel 'Dads to Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Game Suspended in 3rd, Doubleheader April 24 - Hagerstown Suns
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 23 at West Virginia (Game 18) - Columbia Fireflies
- MLB Jr. Home Run Derby Saturday at Appalachian Power Park - West Virginia Power
- July 3rd Tickets Go on Sale Tomorrow at Noon - Asheville Tourists
- Rohlman Named South Atlantic League Player of the Week - Lexington Legends
- Power Set to Host Home Run Derby Saturday - West Virginia Power
- Game Notes (April 23) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.