Blue Drops Fourth-Quarter Battle to Spurs
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Oklahoma City Blue (25-11) fell to the Austin Spurs (16-19), 111-109, on Friday night.
Austin led 111-103 with 2:39 left in the game, but Oklahoma City scored layups on three straight trips to cut the deficit to two points. A jump shot from Abdul Gaddy rimmed out at the buzzer as Austin escaped with the victory.
Gaddy led the Blue with six points in the fourth quarter and finished with 12 points and a team-high-tying five assists. Chris Wright led Oklahoma City's scoring efforts with 21 points, his third game with 20-plus points this season, and six rebounds.
Oklahoma City took its biggest lead of the game in the third quarter at 69-60, after a three-pointer from Justin Leon. However, the lead changed hands nine times in the third quarter and the teams went into the final frame tied at 88-all.
Leon shot 3-of-4 from beyond the arc and finished with nine points and three rebounds off the bench. Bryce Alford and K.J. McDaniels led the scoring efforts for Oklahoma City's reserves, tallying 11 points apiece.
At halftime, the Blue led 59-55. Scotty Hopson scored 13 points in the first half, including eight points in the second quarter, as Oklahoma City battled back from an 11-point deficit.
Two-way player Donte Grantham shot 3-of-4 in the second quarter, matching Hopson's eight points, and finishing with 10 points, six rebounds and two assists. Hopson finished with 17 points, five assists and four rebounds.
Austin was led by John Holland who contributed 19 points and five rebounds.
Oklahoma City will play its final game before the All-Star break on Sunday, Feb. 10 versus the South Bay Lakers at 2 p.m. in the Cox Convention Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2019
- 6-Man Clippers Fall to Skyforce - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Blue Drops Fourth-Quarter Battle to Spurs - Oklahoma City Blue
- Magic Win Battle with BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- Terry, Skyforce Top Short-Handed Clippers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 111-109 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Rout Suns for Second Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Miller Earns 100th Victory; Baulkman's Career-High Leads Knicks Past Canton - Westchester Knicks
- NAZ Suns Handled by Hustle on the Road - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bulls Gain Control of Central Division with Win at Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Fall on the Road to Knicks - Canton Charge
- Legends Acquire Billy Preston - Texas Legends
- BayHawks Complete Trade with Legends - Erie BayHawks
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Duke Mondy - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Grand Rapids Drive
- Tonight's Game Between the Grand Rapids Drive and Wisconsin Herd Postponed - G League
- Skyforce Re-Acquires Terry, Liggins - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jaylen Adams and Alex Poythress Transferred to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester Readies for Canton for Start of Back-To-Back - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Edged by Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Edged by Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.