Charge Fall on the Road to Knicks
WHITE PLAINS, NY - The Canton Charge (12-22), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, lost their seventh consecutive game in a 112-96 defeat at the hands of the Westchester Knicks (21-16) on Friday night.
The Charge used a balanced scoring attack in the first quarter with seven players getting in the points column. The visitors led by as many as 8 in the first but turned the ball over six times and held just a 27-26 advantage at the horn. Westchester got to the free throw line 11 times in the second quarter alone to Canton's zero attempts in a back-and-forth period that saw 12 lead changes and five ties. The Charge held the Knicks to two points in the final 2:30 of the half to take a 53-31 advantage into the break.
Trailing 62-56 three minutes into the third quarter, Westchester rolled off a 18-4 run that gave them a 74-66 lead that they would never relinquish. The Knicks scored 35 points on 65% shooting as a team in the third and led by as many as 12 as they held a 86-77 lead as the fourth quarter began. Westchester held Canton to just 19 points in the fourth quarter and led by as many as 21 and moved into a tie for the second-most wins in the Eastern Conference.
Five Charge players scored 15+ points in the defeat, led by Kobi Simmons' 18 points with five assists and two steals in 39 minutes. JaCorey Williams scored 17 points and grabbed seven boards in 33 minutes. Sir'Dominic Pointer scored 16 points, grabbed seven rebounds and swatted two blocks in 30 minutes. Levi Randolph added 16 points and seven rebounds in 41 minutes and Malik Newman came off the bench to score 16 points on 4-of-8 from three-point range in 28 minutes.
The Knicks were paced by Devon Baulkman's game-high 24 points on 9-of-18 from the field in 33 minutes. Billy Garrett scored 21 points on 8-of-14 shooting in 36 minutes. Zak Irvin posted a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds with six assists and three steals in 37 minutes. Sekou Wiggs came off the bench to score 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting in 30 minutes.
The Charge will head into the All-Star break after a division battle on the road against the Wisconsin Herd this Sunday, February 10th at 3:30 PM (TV: Facebook Live). For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 8, 2019
- 6-Man Clippers Fall to Skyforce - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Blue Drops Fourth-Quarter Battle to Spurs - Oklahoma City Blue
- Magic Win Battle with BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- Terry, Skyforce Top Short-Handed Clippers - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Austin Spurs Defeat Oklahoma City Blue 111-109 - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Rout Suns for Second Straight Win - Memphis Hustle
- Miller Earns 100th Victory; Baulkman's Career-High Leads Knicks Past Canton - Westchester Knicks
- NAZ Suns Handled by Hustle on the Road - Northern Arizona Suns
- Bulls Gain Control of Central Division with Win at Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Fall on the Road to Knicks - Canton Charge
- Legends Acquire Billy Preston - Texas Legends
- BayHawks Complete Trade with Legends - Erie BayHawks
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Duke Mondy - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Tonight's Game Postponed - Grand Rapids Drive
- Tonight's Game Between the Grand Rapids Drive and Wisconsin Herd Postponed - G League
- Skyforce Re-Acquires Terry, Liggins - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Jaylen Adams and Alex Poythress Transferred to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Westchester Readies for Canton for Start of Back-To-Back - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Edged by Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Edged by Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.