'Blades Weekly: Week 2 of Homestand Brings in Orlando, Manchester
ESTERO, Fla. - In the middle of a six-game stretch where five tilts are against North Division teams, the Florida Everblades prepare for another three-game week at home that includes a two-game set against the North Division's Manchester Monarchs.
Florida (33-11-5-0, 71 pts.) faced the Adirondack Thunder this past week in the first-ever regular season meetings at Hertz Arena, the first games between the two teams since the 2018 Eastern Conference Final. After Florida took the opening game of the series, the Thunder won the final two bouts and held the league's then-No. 1 offense to just one goal in both games. The Everblades' 4-1 loss on Saturday was just the second time this season it has lost consecutive games in regulation.
This week is the final time in the regular season that Florida will square off with a team from outside the South Division. Orlando provides a one-game break from the stretch against North Division foes on Wednesday before Florida hosts Manchester on Friday and Saturday. The Everblades have squared off with Manchester just five times total and swept a three-game series in Estero in the 2016-17 season, the only other previous home series for Florida against the Monarchs.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Feb. 6 | Adirondack Thunder - W, 3-1
Feb. 8 | Adirondack Thunder - L, 1-3
Feb. 9 | Adirondack Thunder - L, 1-4
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Feb. 13 | vs. Orlando Solar Bears | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Feb. 15 | vs. Manchester Monarchs | 7:30 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Feb. 16 | vs. Manchester Monarchs | 7 p.m. - Hertz Arena
Though his historic streak came to an end on Saturday, Jeremy Helvig matched the third-longest personal win streak by a goaltender in ECHL history with his 13th straight win on Wednesday.
Along with putting together a dominating winning streak, Helvig has also climbed the league rankings for goals-against-average. He is now second in the ECHL with a 2.15 GAA.
Florida goaltender Jamie Phillips has had just as much success this season and is tied for second in the ECHL with 17 wins.
Everblades alternate captain Joe Cox continues to ride high in several ECHL individual categories. The second-year pro leads the league in plus-minus rating with a +39 mark and is tied for fifth in the league with 51 points (22g-29a).
Stathis Soumelidis scored his first career ECHL goal on Friday, becoming the fifth 'Blades player to register his first ECHL goal this season.
Despite taking only one of the three games against Adirondack this past week, Florida still leads the league in goals against per game (2.35).
With Kyle Platzer's goal on Saturday, the Everblades are now the only team in the league with three 20-goal scorers, a trio that also includes Joe Cox (22g) and John McCarron (20g).
Florida has scored 72 goals in the second period, a total that is eight more than the league's next best team in the middle frame, Newfoundland.
Hertz Arena has been a difficult venue for opposing teams to play in this season, and the Everblades are tied for third in the ECHL with 17 home wins this season.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades: 33-11-5-0, 71 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 25-18-4-0, 54 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 25-18-3-0, 53 PTS
Jacksonville Icemen: 24-21-2-2, 52 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 19-19-7-1, 46 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 19-24-3-3, 44 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 17-30-3-2, 39 PTS
G: Joe Cox (22)
A: Cox (29)
PTS: Cox (51)
+/-: Cox (+39)
SH: John McCarron (160)
GAA: Jeremy Helvig (2.15)
SV%: Helvig (.918)
$2 Wednesday (Feb. 13) - It's another $2 Wednesday! Beer, wine and hot dogs are just $2 all night courtesy of Bud Light, Barefoot Wine, and John Morrell.
Bottomless Popcorn Friday (Feb. 15) - It's a Bottomless Popcorn and Kids Eat Free in Breakaway Sports Pub Friday when the 'Blades host the Manchester Monarchs!
Princess & Pirate Night (Feb. 16) - Princesses Elsa and Anna will be on hand for Princess & Pirate Night, and Fur Circus will also be in attendance to entertain fans throughout the game! Join the 'Blades for a free pregame tailgate from 5-7 p.m. that will feature live music from Rosaline.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
Images from this story
Florida Everblades forward Stathis Soumelidis
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 11, 2019
- Brown Scores 3rd of Season in 4-1 Loss to Brampton - Reading Royals
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, February 11 - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - February 11 - ECHL
- Texas Stars Recall Forward Spencer Naas - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Weekly: Mariners Seek Winning Homestand Before Hitting Road - Maine Mariners
- Busy Week Ahead for Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Announce Series of Roster Moves - Tulsa Oilers
- 'Blades Weekly: Week 2 of Homestand Brings in Orlando, Manchester - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- This Week Is Grizzlies Fight Cancer Weekend - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads Weekly - February 11, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 18 (February 4 - February 10) - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Weekly, February 11th - Wichita Thunder
- Powell Recalled by Rochester - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Extend Point Streak to Five Games; Roy Gets Call from Laval - Fort Wayne Komets
- Wings Weekly: Pink Ice on Thursday Night Kicks off Busy Week - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavs Monday: February 11th - Kansas City Mavericks
- Adams-Moisan Recalled to Laval - Maine Mariners
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - February 11 - Tulsa Oilers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Two-Goal Second Period Pushes IceMen Past Everblades
- 'Blades Weekly: Stretch of Four Straight on Road Starts in Jacksonville
- Bajkov Recalled to AHL's Springfield Thunderbirds
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester