'Blades Weekly: Season's Only Trip West Set for this Weekend
ESTERO, Fla. - Still perched at the top of the ECHL standings, the Florida Everblades (26-7-5-0, 57 pts.) prepare for their only games against a Western Conference team in the 2018-19 regular season, a three-game set against the Rapid City Rush slated for this weekend.
Coming off its best offensive weekend of the season, Florida's offense is rolling entering the series against the Rush. After being limited to just one goal in a 2-1 loss to the Atlanta Gladiators on Jan. 4, Florida has scored 29 goals in its last four games, including a season-high 10 scores this past Saturday night against Greenville. The 'Blades lead the league in offense per game, averaging more than four goals per contest.
This weekend's three-game set against Rapid City is the 'Blades only series outside of the Eastern Conference all year. In fact, Florida plays just 10 games this season against non-divisional foes. The other non-divisional opponents are Newfoundland (2 games), Adirondack (3 games), Manchester (2 games), and Rapid City (3 games). This weekend marks the first-ever meetings between Florida and Rapid City.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Jan. 9 | vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits - W, 7-3
Jan. 11 | vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits - W, 5-0
Jan. 12 | vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits - W, 10-4
THIS WEEK'S GAMES
Jan. 16 | at Rapid City Rush | 9:05 p.m. ET - Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
Jan. 18 | at Rapid City Rush | 9:05 p.m. ET - Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
Jan. 19 | at Rapid City Rush | 9:05 p.m. ET - Rushmore Plaza Civic Center
Jeremy Helvig earned the win on Friday night against Greenville to stretch his personal season-high winning streak to eight games. The rookie hasn't lost in regulation in 11 games.
Jamie Phillips won both of his starts over the weekend and is tied for the ECHL lead with 15 wins.
Justin Auger tabbed goals in all three games over the weekend to run his 'Blades season-high point streak to 10 games (8g-4a). His four-game goal streak is also tied for a 'Blades season-high.
Kyle Platzer netted consecutive multi-goal games to finish the weekend, including his first career professional hat trick on Saturday, and has a whopping 10 points (6g-4a) in a four-game point streak.
Florida scored a team season-high three power-play goals in Wednesday's 7-3 win over Greenville. Coincidentally, that three-goal night on the power play was the most power-play markers in one game since Florida posted three on Greenville on March 30, 2018.
With their shutout against Greenville on Friday, Florida has allowed one goal or fewer in seven games this season, while both shutouts have come against the Swamp Rabbits.
Florida scored an ECHL season-high 10 goals on Saturday night and has netted 29 tallies in its last four games, an average of 7.25 goals per game. Florida last scored double-digit goals in a 10-0 win over Orlando on April 5, 2017.
The Everblades now lead the ECHL in goals for per game (4.03) for the first time this season.
SOUTH DIVISION STANDINGS
Florida Everblades: 26-7-5-0, 57 PTS
South Carolina Stingrays: 20-15-2-0, 42 PTS
Jacksonville Icemen: 20-15-1-0, 41 PTS
Orlando Solar Bears: 19-15-3-0, 41 PTS
Norfolk Admirals: 15-19-2-3, 35 PTS
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 14-22-3-2, 33 PTS
Atlanta Gladiators: 10-19-5-1, 26 PTS
G: Kyle Platzer (16)
A: Joe Cox (25)
PTS: Cox (39)
+/-: Logan Roe (+32)
SH: John McCarron (131)
GAA: Jeremy Helvig (2.39)
SV%: Helvig (.912)
Marvel Night (Jan. 25) - Join the 'Blades for Marvel Night and a Bottomless Popcorn Friday when Florida takes on its in-state rival the Jacksonville Icemen! There will be a special pregame Marvel Feast with Marvel characters Captain America and Black Panther, featuring an all-inclusive ticket with food and drink. Tickets for the Marvel Feast also include an Everblades swag bag. For tickets and more information about the Marvel Feast, contact Ali O'Connor at 239-948-7825 ext. 1500.
EVERBLADES 2018-19 BROADCAST INFORMATION
Catch all the exciting action of Everblades hockey on WJBX News, Talk & More on 101.5 FM, 104.3 FM, 770 AM on the radio waves, or listen for FREE online here.
Fans can also watch the games on a subscription basis on ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games are on sale now!
Ticket packages for the 2018-19 season are still on sale! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades T-Shirt!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your 2018-19 season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2019
- IceMen Use Early Start to Hold off Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- 'Blades Weekly: Season's Only Trip West Set for this Weekend - Florida Everblades
- Return of McCarron, Sheppard Highlights String of Roster Moves - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Add Goalie Clint Windsor - Orlando Solar Bears
- Steelheads Receive John Nyberg, Gluchowski and Payne to Texas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- Josh Dickinson Returns to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- IceMen Announce Hockey Fights Cancer Weekend - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Forward Kyle Platzer Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Platzer Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Worcester Railers HC Host Two Promotion Packed Games at the DCU Center this Weekend - Worcester Railers HC
- Tulsa's Williams Named CCM/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Alex Sakellaropoulos Returned from Loan to Utica - Adirondack Thunder
- Devin Williams Wins CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Second Period Burst Sends 'Blades Past Norfolk on Opening Night
- 'Blades Open Home Schedule against Admirals
- Michael Downing Loaned to AHL's Bakersfield Condors
- 'Blades Announce Updates on Renovations, Reminders for Opening Night
- Defenseman Fortunato Assigned to Florida by NHL's Predators