Blades Skirt Past Warriors 2-1
The Saskatoon Blades slipped by the Moose Jaw Warriors 2-1 on Tuesday night for the team's sixth consecutive victory.
Veteran forwards Burke Gallimore (Edmonton, AB) and Walker Wintoneak (Flin Flon, MB) bulged the twine in the Blades' victory.
The Warriors opened the scoring 12:29 into the game when Brendan Rowinski weaved through the Blades' defensemen and snuck one past goaltender Adam Morrison (White Rock, BC) to make it 1-0.
The Blades managed to tie it up midway through the second period. Gallimore was pulled down while on a breakaway at the 8:50 mark of the middle frame and awarded a penalty shot. The second-year Blade made no mistake, beating Warriors' goaltender Jeff Bosch glove side with a snap shot just below the hash marks.
Wintoneak gave the Blades their first and final lead of the hockey game with just over nine minutes remaining in the third period after taking a pass from Derek Hulak (Saskatoon, SK) at the top of the left faceoff circle and zipping a wrist shot to the top right corner of the net for the game winner.
Morrison was the first star in the hockey game after making 33 saves on 34 shots for his 9th win of the season. Bosch took the loss in the Warriors' net after a 27-save performance.
Final Score Saskatoon 2, Moose Jaw 1.
The win improves the Blades' record to 14-3-0-2 on the season for 30 points, tops in the Western Hockey League. The Blades have now won six in a row and 12 of their last 13 games. The Warriors drop to 11-7-0-0, good enough for 22 points and remain in second place in the WHL's Eastern Division.
Tomorrow the Blades return to action at Credit Union Centre against the Swift Current Broncos. Tickets are available online at ticketmaster.ca, by calling 938-7800, or by visiting any Ticketmaster location. The game will also be broadcast throughout Western Canada on Shaw TV.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 3, 2009
- Everett Wins Fourth Straight Defeating Medicine Hat, 3-1 - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Skirt Past Warriors 2-1 - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Back In Action Wednesday - Kelowna Rockets
- Beach Setting The Mark - Spokane Chiefs
- Calgary Hitmen Acquire Del Cowan From The Prince George Cougars - Calgary Hitmen
- Forward Taylor Orser Joins Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Forward Del Cowan Sent To Calgary - Prince George Cougars
- Robak Earns Monthly Honour - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders' Garrett Zemlak Named CHL Goaltender Of The Week - WHL
- Regina Pats' Jordan Eberle Named Husky WHL Player Of The Month - WHL
- Canes Vs. Tips Tomorrow Night - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Face Stiff Challenge Against Warriors - Saskatoon Blades
- Wheaties Off To Cartwright Wednesday - Brandon Wheat Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.