Bisons Win in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4, over Hens
Santiago Espinal's walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the 11th inning drove home Jonathan Davis and gave the Bisons a 5-4 victory over the Toledo Mud Hens, Wednesday night from Sahlen Field. The win, coupled with Charlotte's wild 13-12 victory over the RailRiders, moves the Bisons to just three games back of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the IL North Division.
Playing in just his ninth career game with the Bisons, Espinal delivered the key hit as the Herd held off a Hens team that erased an early three-run Buffalo lead. With Davis as the free base runner at second, Espinal fought back from down 1-2 in the count to skip a full-count offering from reliver Eduardo Jimenez off the back of the mound and into centerfield.
With his great speed, Davis dashed home and beat a wild throw with a head-first slide over the plate to give the Bisons the victory.
The contest went into extra innings tied at three with both teams scoring a run in the 10th. Buffalo got their fourth run when Anthony Alford singled home Michael De La Cruz to make it 4-4.
The Bisons built an early 3-0 lead with solo runs in the first three innings of the contest. Richard Urena chopped a grounder through the infield to score Alford in the first. Jordan Patterson and Roemon Fields added solo home runs in the second and third innings, respectively.
For Patterson, the blast two levels into the Bully Hill Party Deck in right field was his 16th of the season and second in as many nights.
Toledo erased the deficit as four consecutive batters hit for the cycle with one out in the top half of the seventh inning. Daz Cameron homered to right-center of Zach Jackson to get Toledo on the board and Christian Stewart singled in front of Willi Castro's triple into the right field corner. Frank Schwindel then doubled off the base of the left field wall to pull Toledo even.
Adam earned the win for Buffalo, allowing just an unearned run in two innings of relief. T.J. Zeuch started for Buffalo and was great, tossing six innings of shutout baseball. He was robbed of a victory for his efforts thanks to Toledo's three-run seventh inning.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bisons Win in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4, over Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Cameron Homers as Hens Force Extras - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reyes Does It All, Bats Win 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Hold Strong for 5-4 Victory over Bulls on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers, Columbus Postponed on Wednesday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Wings Fall 5-3 in Indy Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Waddell Delivers Quality Start as Indy Wins 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-62) at Louisville Bats (51-69) - Louisville Bats
- Tides to Host The Office Night on August 30 - Norfolk Tides
- New Documentary Series, Minor League City, Highlights Red Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (59-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-60) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- World Series Replica Rings Friday, August 16 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Drop Opener in Indy, 6-3 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.