SWB Game Notes
SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE RAILRIDERS (65-55) @ CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS (65-54)
RHP Brody Koerner (4-3, 4.74) vs. RHP Donny Roach (3-6, 7.98)
| Game No. 121 | BB&T Ballpark | Charlotte, NC | August 14, 2019 | First Pitch 7:04 p.m. |
CHARLOTTE, NC (August 13, 2019) -- The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders fell behind in the first inning, and a near-historic offensive performance by the Charlotte Knights paced them to a 15-1 win Tuesday night at BB&T Ballpark.
The first five men who came to the plate for the Knights singled, giving them a 3-0 lead after the first inning. They plated three more runs in the third inning and five in the fifth to open up an 11-0 lead over the RailRiders. SWB starting pitcher, Brian Keller, made his second career Triple-A start and matched the franchise record with 16 hits and 11 runs/11 earned runs allowed in the outing.
When the dust settled, the Knights collected 23 hits off RailRiders pitching. Only twice in the 30-year history of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre baseball has a team collected more hits in a game than the Knights did in their eight trips to the plate.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre had been limited to just two hits over 6.0 innings by Charlotte starting pitcher Kyle Kubat, before he gave way to the bullpen. After 2.0 scoreless innings by Matt Foster, Zach Thompson entered for the final three outs. Looking to complete the shutout, he retired the first two men he faced before allowing a solo homer to Ryan McBroom to make it 15-1. McBroom becomes the third RailRiders batter to hit 20+ homers this season, joining Mike Ford (23) and Trey Amburgey (20).
DUBIOUS HISTORY: After 29.5 seasons of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre baseball, no pitcher had allowed more than 14 hits in a game. Over the last 4G, RHP Brody Koerner and RHP Brian Keller have each allowed 16 H in an outing for the RailRiders, including Keller's performance Tuesday in Charlotte. The Knights rapped out 23 hits in the game, and only twice in franchise history have the RailRiders allowed more in one game.
SLUGGISH IN THE SUMMER HEAT: Scranton/Wilkes-Barre comes to Charlotte to take on the Knights at BB&T Ballpark, one of the most hitter-friendly venues in the International League. The RailRiders offense could use a jumpstart after dropping 6-of-their-last-7 to end the homestand against Charlotte and the Gwinnett Stripers and kick off the roadtrip. Over those 7G, the RailRiders not scored more than 4 runs in a game, plating just 16 runs (2.28/game) in that stretch. The team batted .174 (38-for-218) to lower the season AVG to .274 which is still good for 3rd in the league behind the Rochester Red Wings and Toledo Mud Hens.
POWER OUTAGE: SWB entered Tuesday's contest on its largest home run drought of the season. Ryan McBroom ended that streak with a blast in the top of the 9th inning, with the previous HR being clubbed by a RailRider was in the bottom of the 2nd inning Thursday night against the Charlotte Knights at PNC Field by Wendell Rijo. Since then, it had been 43.2 innings without a longball. In fact, the RailRiders pitching staff has been strong at keeping the ball in the yard, with Saturday/Sunday marking the first consecutive RailRiders games this year in which neither team homered before a homer for each team Tuesday night.
MAKING MOVES: With 20 games remaining in the regular season, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are keeping up their torrid pace of roster moves. Following a year in which they made 275 roster moves total (1.99 moves/game) during the regular season. SWB has now made 276 following Monday's flurry of moves to accommodate the doubleheader up in the Bronx and the team is averaging 2.26 moves/game this season and is on pace for 32 roster moves through the end of the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bisons Win in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4, over Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Cameron Homers as Hens Force Extras - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reyes Does It All, Bats Win 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Hold Strong for 5-4 Victory over Bulls on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers, Columbus Postponed on Wednesday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Wings Fall 5-3 in Indy Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Waddell Delivers Quality Start as Indy Wins 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-62) at Louisville Bats (51-69) - Louisville Bats
- Tides to Host The Office Night on August 30 - Norfolk Tides
- New Documentary Series, Minor League City, Highlights Red Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (59-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-60) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- World Series Replica Rings Friday, August 16 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Drop Opener in Indy, 6-3 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed