Reyes Does It All, Bats Win 2-1
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Louisville Bats (52-69) defeated the Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-63) at Louisville Slugger Field by a score of 2-1 on Wednesday evening. The victory clinched the series win, also securing their fifth series victory in their last nine attempts.
The Bats would strike first in the bottom of the third inning, as they put a twist on their typical homerun-fueled offense. Starting Louisville pitcher Jesus Reyes would jump on the first pitch he saw, driving a no-doubt bomb sailing over the left-field fence. Not only was this Reyes's first professional homerun, it was also his first professional hit, going 0-for-19 in his previous plate appearances. The homerun was also the first by a Bats pitcher at Louisville Slugger Field since Matt Belisle went deep on August 13, 2004.
Following the homerun, the Bats would also tack on one more in the third after Rob Refsnyder would hit a chopper to the third-base side, scoring Alfredo Rodriguez with an infield RBI single. Refsnyder would finish the day 3-for-3 with one RBI.
The two runs would prove to be enough as Louisville's pitching staff continued to impress. On top of his offensive contributions, Jesus Reyes (1-4, 4.29) also tossed six scoreless innings, allowing only four hits with five walks and five strikeouts and was credited with the win. Although the IronPigs would get one run back with a solo shot in the top of the ninth, R.J. Alaniz (3-2, 1.98) would buckle down and close it out, earning his fourth save of the year.
The Bats will play the finale of the three-game set with the IronPigs tomorrow night at Louisville Slugger Field with first pitch set for 7:00 p.m. Louisville right-hander Vladimir Gutierrez (4-10, 6.61) with throw the first pitch and righty Enyel De Los Santos (5-6, 3.96) will get the ball for Lehigh Valley.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bisons Win in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4, over Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Cameron Homers as Hens Force Extras - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reyes Does It All, Bats Win 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Hold Strong for 5-4 Victory over Bulls on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers, Columbus Postponed on Wednesday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Wings Fall 5-3 in Indy Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Waddell Delivers Quality Start as Indy Wins 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-62) at Louisville Bats (51-69) - Louisville Bats
- Tides to Host The Office Night on August 30 - Norfolk Tides
- New Documentary Series, Minor League City, Highlights Red Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (59-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-60) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- World Series Replica Rings Friday, August 16 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Drop Opener in Indy, 6-3 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.