Waddell Delivers Quality Start as Indy Wins 5-3
INDIANAPOLIS - Brandon Waddell tossed six innings of one-run ball, Trayvon Robinson belted his seventh home run, and the Indianapolis Indians won their second game in as many days over the Rochester Red Wings, 5-3, Wednesday afternoon. Indy's record is back to .500 thanks to four wins in its last six games overall.
Indianapolis (60-60) never trailed in the afternoon affair and led 1-0 just two batters into the bottom of the first inning. Cole Tucker hit a leadoff single, stole second base and advanced to third on a throwing error by catcher Wynston Sawyer. Jason Martin then chopped a grounder to first to bring home Tucker.
Indy added two runs in the second and two more in the fourth to build a 5-0 cushion. With two on and two down in the second inning, Christian Kelley drilled a line drive over Alejandro De Aza in right field to bring in Eric Wood and Jake Elmore. Robinson's 417-foot blast opened the fourth and singles by Wood, Hunter Owen and Tucker extended the lead further.
Waddell kept Rochester (60-61) in check through the first five innings, recording five strikeouts while stranding three baserunners. An Ian Miller single and stolen base in Waddell's final frame led to the visitors' first run, with Miller crossing the plate on a Wilin Rosario groundout.
Sean Keselica bridged the gap to the ninth before Zander Wiel lined an opposite-field homer off Jake Brentz to cut Indy's advantage to 5-3.
Waddell (W, 2-5) fanned six in his first Triple-A win since June 6 at Toledo. Four of Waddell's six punchouts caught Red Wings batters looking at strike three. Griffin Jax (L, 1-1) was tagged for five runs (three earned) on seven hits in four innings.
Tucker, Wood and Elmore each logged two-hit performances as Indy racked up 10 knocks in the contest.
The Indians go for a three-game sweep of Rochester on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. ET. Alex McRae (7-6, 4.81) will square off against Charlie Barnes (0-0, 8.31).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bisons Win in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4, over Hens - Buffalo Bisons
- Cameron Homers as Hens Force Extras - Toledo Mud Hens
- Reyes Does It All, Bats Win 2-1 - Louisville Bats
- Mets Hold Strong for 5-4 Victory over Bulls on Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Stripers, Columbus Postponed on Wednesday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Wings Fall 5-3 in Indy Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Waddell Delivers Quality Start as Indy Wins 5-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Toledo (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Lehigh Valley IronPigs (56-62) at Louisville Bats (51-69) - Louisville Bats
- Tides to Host The Office Night on August 30 - Norfolk Tides
- New Documentary Series, Minor League City, Highlights Red Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (59-60) vs. Rochester Red Wings (60-60) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- World Series Replica Rings Friday, August 16 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Drop Opener in Indy, 6-3 - Rochester Red Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.