Birds Sweep Doubleheader against Lynchburg
LYNCHBURG, Va. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans swept the Lynchburg Hillcats in a doubleheader on Saturday from Calvin Falwell Field at City Stadium, winning game one 4-2 and game two 4-1.
In game one of the twin bill, the Pelicans (6-11) struck first when Jimmy Herron blasted a solo homer to left in the top of the fourth inning to put the Birds ahead 1-0.
Later in the inning, the Birds extended the lead to 2-0 when Cam Balego singled to plate Luke Reynolds with two outs in the frame. Myrtle Beach added another run in the fifth inning as D.J. Wilson was brought home on a sacrifice fly from Herron to extend the Birds lead to 3-0.
In the bottom of the fifth, Tyler Friis doubled down the right field line and Mike Rivera scored for the Hillcats to close the gap to 3-1.
The Pelicans made it 4-1 in the sixth inning when Miguel Amaya crushed a solo homer to left, his third of the year.
Lynchburg threatened in the seventh inning when Nolan Jones singled home a run to cut the gap to 4-2, but Manny Rodriguez struck out Oscar Gonzalez and forced Trenton Brooks to ground out to end the game.
Paul Richan (2-0) threw five innings of one run baseball to secure the 4-2 win, while Justin Garzatook the loss (1-3).
The offensive barrage by the Birds continued into the first inning of game two of the doubleheader. After Balego walked, Tyler Payne drove a double into the alley in right, scoring Balego and giving the Birds a 1-0 lead.
Lynchburg fought back in the bottom of the second inning when they loaded the bases with nobody out in the inning. Javier Assad rolled a double play ball, but Oscar Gonzalez came home to score and the Hillcats tied the game at one.
The Birds took a 3-1 lead in the fifth after Wladimir Galindo scored on a single from Balego, who then got caught in a rundown between first and second which allowed Zach Davis to score from third.
Davis added his name to the box score again in the top of the seventh inning when he singled home Wilson to extend the Birds lead to 4-1.
Erling Moreno (1-2) shut the door out of the bullpen. He allowed just one hit in three relief innings to earn his first win of the season.
The Pelicans have won four in a row and will look to complete the series sweep of the Lynchburg Hillcats on Sunday at 3 p.m. Alex Lange (0-2, 15.43) will make his third start of the year against Adam Scott (1-1, 3.86) for Lynchburg.
Coverage will begin at 2:45 p.m. on the Pelicans Baseball Network which is available on the TuneIn App, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and MiLB First Pitch app.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Down East Sweeps Double-Header From Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Dash Drop Saturday's Twin Bill Opener at Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Manage Just Six Hits Total in Doubleheader Sweep - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- P-Nats and Dash Split Saturday Night Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Manage Just Three Runs in Double-Header, Get Swept by Pelicans - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Sweep Doubleheader against Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Finish Doubleheader Sweep with 6-3 Win in Nightcap - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodpeckers Sweep Carolina in Doubleheader - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Keys and Red Sox Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Rallies Late to Take Game One of a Split Doubleheader 3-2 on Saturday - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (April 20 at Potomac, Doubleheader) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 20 at Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- April 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Lynch, Blue Rocks Shut Down Pelicans on Saturday
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 25 at Wilmington
- Pitching Dominates, Birds Take Series Opener in Wilmington
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: May 24 at Wilmington
- RHP Brian Glowicki placed on the 7-day Injured List