Dash Drop Saturday's Twin Bill Opener at Potomac
WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Thanks to two home runs from the Potomac offense, the Dash fell 6-2 in their doubleheader opener on Saturday at Pfitzner Stadium.
Winston-Salem (7-9) scored the game's first run on an RBI double from Tyler Frost, who extended his hitting streak to 10 games with the hit. However, in the bottom of the first, Cole Freeman blasted a solo shot to left against Cristian Castillo (0-2) to knot the contest at one.
The Dash regained the edge in the top of the second. Carlos Perez and Tate Blackman stroked back-to-back singles with one out, and, two batters later, Luis Robert stroked an RBI single through the left side to make it a 2-1 contest.
Despite the hit from Robert, the Nationals (7-9) took the lead for good in the bottom of the inning. After a leadoff walk to Jakson Reetz, David Masters hit a two-run homer to left to give the P-Nats a 3-2 lead. Osvaldo Abreu helped add another run in the frame against Castillo with an RBI single. Castillo went four innings, allowing six hits and four runs en route to his second loss of the season.
Potomac plated two more in the sixth against Codi Heuer before Winston-Salem threatened in the seventh against Steven Fuentes (1-0). With runners on first and second and two outs, Zach Remillard extended the inning with a bloop single to left to send the tying run to the plate in Craig Dedelow. But, on a 3-2 pitch, Fuentes blew a 3-2 fastball past Dedelow to cap off a three-inning performance that earned him his first win of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 20, 2019
- Down East Sweeps Double-Header From Wilmington - Down East Wood Ducks
- Dash Drop Saturday's Twin Bill Opener at Potomac - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rocks Manage Just Six Hits Total in Doubleheader Sweep - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- P-Nats and Dash Split Saturday Night Doubleheader - Potomac Nationals
- Hillcats Manage Just Three Runs in Double-Header, Get Swept by Pelicans - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Birds Sweep Doubleheader against Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Woodpeckers Finish Doubleheader Sweep with 6-3 Win in Nightcap - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodpeckers Sweep Carolina in Doubleheader - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Keys and Red Sox Split Doubleheader - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville Rallies Late to Take Game One of a Split Doubleheader 3-2 on Saturday - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (April 20 at Potomac, Doubleheader) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: April 20 at Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- April 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Winston-Salem Dash Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- Dash Nominated for MiLB's John H. Johnson Award
- Johnson, Vaughn Named to Premier12 Roster
- Dash's Bugno Honored as Winston Under 40 Leadership Award Recipient
- Winston-Salem to Host MiLB Innovators Summit in 2020