Binghamton's Ryan Schmelzer Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
March 9, 2020 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... The American Hockey League announced today that Binghamton Devils forward Ryan Schmelzer has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending March 8, 2020.
Schmelzer registered two goals and four assists for six points in three games over the weekend as the Devils continued their second-half surge in the North Division.
Schmelzer began the week with the first three-point night of his pro career, scoring the game-winning goal and picking up two assists in a 6-4 victory over Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on Friday night. He notched a goal and an assist as Binghamton defeated Lehigh Valley, 5-1, on Saturday, and registered another assist in the Devils' 3-0 win at Wilkes-Barre on Sunday. Schmelzer finished the week with two power-play points and two shorthanded points as Binghamton improved its record to 24-7-0-0 since the Christmas break.
A second-year pro from Buffalo, N.Y., Schmelzer has totaled 23 points (seven goals, 16 assists) in 51 games for Binghamton this season after tallying 24 points in 66 contests as a rookie in 2018-19. Schmelzer joined the Devils organization following four seasons at Canisius College, where he was an all-conference selection and served as team captain as a senior.
In recognition of being named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week, Schmelzer will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Devils home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2020
- First Place Roadrunners Start "4 in 6" at Home Tuesday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Roadrunners Weekly: March 9 - Tucson Roadrunners
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: March 9, 2020 - Manitoba Moose
- Week 23 Report: Hogs Enter Home Stretch in Playoff Picture - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Recall MacLeod from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - Charlotte Checkers
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Bears Recall Chris McCarthy from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- Moose Sign Derek Lodermeier to Amateur Tryout - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Dallas Stars Sign Defenseman Jerad Rosburg to a One-Year, Entry-Level Contract - Texas Stars
- San Diego Gulls Recall Eriksson Ek from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Kaut Returns to Avalanche, Eagles Recall Davis - Colorado Eagles
- Devils' Ryan Schmelzer Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Binghamton Devils
- Binghamton's Ryan Schmelzer Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- 'Canes Reassign Nedeljkovic to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Zach Giuttari to ATO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Luukkonen Assigned to Cyclones - Rochester Americans
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.