Billy Wagner To Rehab With B-Mets
The New York Mets announced today that pitcher Billy Wagner will join the Binghamton Mets for a Major League rehab assignment. He is slated to start Thursday's 7:05 p.m. game against the Reading Phillies. The lefthander isn't expected to throw more than 20 pitches.
Wagner hasn't played for the Mets since August 2nd. He's was placed on the Disabled List on August 5th with a strained left forearm. The closer has a 2.30 ERA, 27 saves and 52 strikeouts in 47 innings with the Mets this season.
Signed by the Mets as a free agent prior to the 2006 season, Wagner has also played for Houston and Philadelphia during a Major League career that's spanned 14 seasons and included four National League All-Star selections. The 37-year-old is sixth all-time and third among active pitchers with 385 saves, saving 30 or more games in eight different campaigns. Wagner is no stranger to rehabbing in the Eastern League. While with Philadelphia, he made a start for the Reading Phillies in 2004 while recovering from a strained left groin. With Wagner starting, Eric Brown, Thursday's scheduled starter, will come out of the bullpen after Wagner finishes his rehab stint.
Wagner becomes the third Major Leaguer to rehab with the B-Mets this season. Outfielder Moises Alou rehabbed with Binghamton in Connecticut July 8th and 9th. Pitcher Orlando Hernandez started at NYSEG Stadium on July 17th.
The Binghamton Mets continue their seven-game homestand tonight with the second game of a three-game set against the Reading Phillies. The first pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. at NYSEG Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 13, 2008
- Thunder offense stagnant in loss - Trenton Thunder
- Four Run First Propels Mets To Win - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Seven Game Win Streak Ends - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve falter against Portland - Altoona Curve
- Portland remains two games ahead of Binghamton and Connecticut - Portland Sea Dogs
- Maroul's Home Run Does in Aeros - Akron RubberDucks
- Defenders capture fifth straight - Connecticut Defenders
- Martinez, Barfield to Rehab this Weekend; Barfield Arrives Thursday, Martinez Friday - Akron RubberDucks
- Sandoval & Rohlinger Headed to the Bay Area - Connecticut Defenders
- Jason Stephens sent back to Tampa from Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Billy Wagner To Rehab With B-Mets - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. New Britain Rock Cats...Game Two of Three...Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats blank Harrisburg 4-0 Wednesday afternoon - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Aeros Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- Senators Blanked by Fisher Cats - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.