Big Blasts by Dosch, Joseph Enough for Tides
Drew Dosch and Caleb Joseph each hit three-run home runs to help power Norfolk to a 7-3 victory over the Rochester Red Wings in front of 8,083 fans Saturday night at Harbor Park.
The contest was tied at 1-1 entering the fifth inning before Norfolk's offense erupted for six runs on five hits to take a 7-1 lead. Dosch gave the Tides the lead with a three-run blast off of Nick Anderson (2-1), and Joseph later added a three-run shot of his own to extend Norfolk's lead to 7-1.
The offensive outburst snapped a five-game losing skid for the Tides, over which Norfolk had plated just seven total runs while batting .170 as a team. The Tides matched that run total Saturday night, registering 12 hits en route to evening the series at a game apiece.
The offense made a winner out of Jimmy Yacabonis (2-1), who limited the Red Wings to a run on one hit and two walks over five strong innings of work. Yacabonis struck out two while throwing 38 of his 65 pitches for strikes, lowering his ERA to 3.03 through 10 starts this season.
The 5.0 innings pitched also gave Yacabonis 100.0 career innings pitched with the Tides, qualifying him among the franchise's career leaders. Yacabonis owns a 1.98 ERA in 51 career games with Norfolk, placing him second behind Oliver Drake's 1.85 career ERA on the Tides all-time list.
Garabez Rosa had three hits and an RBI to help pace Norfolk's offense, while Steve Wilkerson registered two hits for his first multi-hit game at the Triple-A level. Adrian Marin chipped in with a single, walk, stolen base and run scored.
The Tides will wrap up their homestand on Sunday afternoon, with first pitch slated for 1:05. Tim Melville (5-2, 4.17) will make the start for Norfolk and be opposed by left-hander Stephen Gonszlvez (4-1, 4.00).
Notes: The start of Saturday's game was delayed by an hour and 39 minutes due to heavy rain in the Norfolk area...Cedric Mullins registered his first Triple-A hit with a bunt single leading off the fifth inning...With two shutout innings of relief, Jhan Marinez has not allowed an earned run over his last five appearances, yielding nine hits and one walk while striking out 11 over 10.1 innings...Over the last six games, Norfolk's pitching staff has registered a 3.40 ERA (20 ER, 53.0 IP).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 2, 2018
- Big Blasts by Dosch, Joseph Enough for Tides - Norfolk Tides
- Bats Extend Winning Streak with 3-1 Win - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Offense Explodes in First Inning - Toledo Mud Hens
- Adam Plutko Stamps Name in Record Books with No-No - Columbus Clippers
- Chiefs No-Hit by Adam Plutko Saturday Night - Syracuse Chiefs
- Holmes Deals as Indians Derail Scranton/W-B, 8-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs' Rally Falls Short against Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Stripers Stifled Again in Louisville - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Use the Force in 9-2 Star Wars Night Win - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Shut out in Indianapolis - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Ciuffo Shines in 5-3 Win over PawSox - Durham Bulls
- LHV Game Notes 6-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Come from Behind to Top Pawtucket - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Drop Game Two to Bisons 9-2 Saturday - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (25-27) vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (25-28) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 2 - Louisville Bats
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Saturday, June 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Bisons Game Notes - Charlotte at Buffalo (6:05 p.m. Star Wars Night) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting
- Tides Organization to Renovate Two Youth Fields this Fall
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park
- Durham Scores Late to Beat Tides