Bees Walk-Off with 5-4 Win
New Britain, Connecticut - The New Britain Bees (26-26, 61-60) beat the Somerset Patriots (19-34, 61-62) 5-4 in walk-off fashion at New Britain Stadium on Wednesday night.
New Britain started early with a run in the first. Darren Ford reached on an Alfredo Rodriguez throwing error, then stole second base. With two outs in the inning, Jonathan Galvez reached on an infield single and Ford was able to score from second.
But in the second, Somerset jumped in front. Jimmy Paredes (9) mashed a leadoff home run and later in the inning Rodriguez doubled down the left field line. Then, Craig Massey singled in a run to push the Patriots ahead 2-1.
In the third, Will Kengor (13) began the inning with Somerset's second leadoff home run of the night, and the fourth of the series for the Patriots.
New Britain answered in the fourth with a pair of runs. After Ozzie Martinez walked to begin the inning, Zach Collier hit his fifth home run of the season over the wall in right field to tie the game at three.
Somerset plated a run in the seventh when Paredes smoked a two-out RBI double off the wall in right field, but the Bees got it back in the bottom of the inning thanks to a Jason Rogers run-scoring double.
In the ninth, with the bases loaded, Martinez worked a bases loaded walk to score the game winning run.
Jim Fuller (7-2) earned the win after working a scoreless ninth inning.
Stephen Perakslis (0-2) was handed the loss after he allowed the game winning run to score in the ninth.
The Patriots continue their road trip tomorrow with the final game of the series against the New Britain Bees. First pitch is at 6:35 pm.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until the team returns home on Friday, September 6th against the High Point Rockers. The night will feature a postgame fireworks show, presented by Celularity. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Jimmy Paredes of the Somerset Patriots circles the bases
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 5, 2019
- Barnstormers Fall In Homestand Finale - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Sweep Aside Barnstormers in Lancaster - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Ride Big Fourth to Sweep - Somerset Patriots
- Halloween Town Coming to Constellation Field in 2019 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Drop Wild Affair in Texas - York Revolution
- Bees Walk-Off On Patriots For Second Time In As Many Nights - New Britain Bees
- Offensive Onslaught Continues in Rout of Barnstormers - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Walk-Off with 5-4 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Barnstormers Drop Fifth Straight - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.