Offensive Onslaught Continues in Rout of Barnstormers
(Lancaster, Pa.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the Lancaster Barnstormers 11-5 on Wednesday night in the third game of a four-game series at Clipper Magazine Stadium.
The Barnstormers opened the scoring with a two-run infield single by Anderson De La Rosa in the first inning. However, the Ducks answered with three runs in the third off Barnstormers starter Connor Overton to take a 3-2 lead. A run-scoring fielder's choice from Lew Ford, an RBI single by L.J. Mazzilli and a passed ball that scored Ford highlighted the inning.
An RBI double to right-center field by Rey Fuentes in the fourth and a two-run home run to right-center by Hector Sanchez in the fifth extended the Ducks lead to 6-2. Josh Bell drew a bases loaded walk against Ducks starter Anderson DeLeon in the bottom of the fifth to close the gap to 6-3. However, Fuentes responded with a solo homer to right in the sixth, restoring the four-run lead.
Melvin Mercedes picked up an RBI single in the sixth to trim Long Island's lead to 7-4. Long Island answered though with a four-run eighth to put the game out of reach. An RBI single to left by D'Arby Myers and a three-run double to right-center by Mazzilli did the damage.
DeLeon (1-1) earned the win, tossing five innings of three-run ball, allowing six hits and three walks while striking out five. Overton (2-3) took the loss, surrendering seven runs on seven hits and four walks over five and two-thirds innings with six strikeouts.
Fuentes led the Flock offensively with three hits, two RBIs and two runs scored. Mazzilli added two hits, four RBIs, a run and a walk, while Myers collected two hits, an RBI, three runs and a walk.
The Ducks and Barnstormers wrap up their four-game set on Thursday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. from Clipper Magazine Stadium. Fans can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel. Left-hander Brian Matusz (0-2, 4.50) gets the ball for the Ducks against Barnstormers lefty Nate Reed (4-3, 5.68).
Long Island returns home on Friday, September 6, to begin a three-game series against the Sugar Land Skeeters. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive Ducks 20th Anniversary Thundersticks, courtesy of Newsday. It's a Flashback Friday, and fans will be able to enjoy 2000 season pricing ($8/$9) on select Ducks individual game tickets purchased via the team's in-game vendors (restrictions apply). In addition, Ducks staff members will be handing out coupons for a free regular sub (no purchase necessary) and $2 off any size sub at Jersey Mike's Subs to fans as they exit the ballpark. Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Rey Fuentes of the Long Island Ducks slides into second
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 5, 2019
- Barnstormers Fall In Homestand Finale - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Sweep Aside Barnstormers in Lancaster - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Ride Big Fourth to Sweep - Somerset Patriots
- Halloween Town Coming to Constellation Field in 2019 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Drop Wild Affair in Texas - York Revolution
- Bees Walk-Off On Patriots For Second Time In As Many Nights - New Britain Bees
- Offensive Onslaught Continues in Rout of Barnstormers - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Walk-Off with 5-4 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Barnstormers Drop Fifth Straight - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Trio of Ducks Receive Atlantic League Postseason Awards
- 2022 Schedule Announced - Opening Night April 22
- Steve Lombardozzi Named Atlantic League Player of the Year
- Ducks Magical Season Comes to an End in Lexington
- Two-Out Rallies Lead Lexington Past Long Island in Game Three