Barnstormers Drop Fifth Straight
Rey Fuentes went 3-for-4 with a home run, and L.J. Mazzilli drove home four as the Long Island Ducks built an 11-5 victory over the Lancaster Barnstormers Wednesday evening at Clipper Magazine Stadium.
It was Lancaster's fifth loss in a row after the club swept a doubleheader to begin the current homestand.
Mazzilli drove home the tying run in the third inning with an RBI single to left and capped the Long Island surge with a three-run double to right center in the top of the eighth.
Fuentes belted a double to right center, scoring D'Arby Myers to extend the Ducks' lead in the fourth inning and added a booming homer to right two innings late.
Lancaster grabbed a 2-0 lead in the first inning. A double by Melvin Mercedes and infield single by Caleb Gindl got the Barnstormers off to a big start, but it took a bases loaded infield single by Anderson De La Rosa with two outs to get the two runs home off Anderson DeLeon (1-1).
Connor Overton pitched hitless baseball for the first 2 1/3 innings before John Apostolo singled with one out in the third. The Lancaster right-hander walked Myers, and Fuentes' infield single loaded the bases. Lew Ford's grounder to short was hit too slowly for a double play as the first Long Island marker scored. Mazzilli followed with his tying hit, a third run scored on a passed ball.
Fuentes made it 4-2 in the fourth inning, and Hector Sanchez contributed a two-run homer in the fifth.
Caleb Gindl finished the night 3-for-4 with his 21st homer. Mercedes, Josh Bell and De La Rosa collected two hits apiece for the Barnstormers, who rapped out 12 on the night but also left 12 runners on base.
The series finale is set for Thursday at 7:00. Lancaster will send left-hander Nate Reed (4-3) to the mound against former Orioles left-hander Brian Matusz (0-2). Fans may tune into the Barnstormers YouTube Channel, beginning at 6:45.
NOTES: Gindl has four homers on the homestand...As a team, the Barnstormers have hit 12, 10 of them solo...Darian Sandford stole his 190th base in the Atlantic League, moving him within one of fifth place all-time...Gindl threw his fourth straight scoreless appearance, wrapping up the game in the ninth inning...Bell is 6-for-9 with four walks in the series...Long Island won for the 16th time in the season series.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 5, 2019
- Barnstormers Fall In Homestand Finale - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Ducks Sweep Aside Barnstormers in Lancaster - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Ride Big Fourth to Sweep - Somerset Patriots
- Halloween Town Coming to Constellation Field in 2019 - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Revs Drop Wild Affair in Texas - York Revolution
- Bees Walk-Off On Patriots For Second Time In As Many Nights - New Britain Bees
- Offensive Onslaught Continues in Rout of Barnstormers - Long Island Ducks
- Bees Walk-Off with 5-4 Win - Somerset Patriots
- Barnstormers Drop Fifth Straight - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lancaster Barnstormers Stories
- Barnstormers Receive Additional Awards from the Atlantic League
- The Christmas Spirit Light Show Returns Saturday, November 27 to Clipper Magazine Stadium
- Barnstormers Release 2022 Schedule
- Clipper Magazine Stadium Has Vibrant 2021
- Barnstormers Romp in Finale