Beck Opens 3-0 Kernels Shutout
GRAND CHUTE, Wis. - Tyler Beck's career-high five shutout innings started a 3-0 Cedar Rapids Kernels shutout Sunday afternoon versus the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. Cedar Rapids (44-34) earned its second road series victory of the season by winning four of six games at Wisconsin (37-40) this week.
Beck (2-1) was the winning pitcher following the longest scoreless outing of his professional career. He worked around two hits and two walks while striking out five batters in his first win since his Cedar Rapids debut May 7 against the Peoria Chiefs.
Erik Manoah Jr., Osiris German, and Zach Featherstone pitched in relief to finish the eighth Kernels shutout of 2021. Manoah Jr. and German were each credited with holds. The save went to Featherstone who leads all Cedar Rapids relievers with six saves.
Early RBI groundouts drove Cedar Rapids to a 2-0 advantage. Matt Wallner's groundball to second base drove in Michael Helman in the top of the first inning. Daniel Ozoria plated Seth Gray within the second on a grounder to third base.
Ozoria extended the lead to 3-0 Kernels during the fifth. He led off with a double and came home after a Helman single coupled with an error.
The losing pitcher in Sunday's series finale was Nick Bennett (1-1). He gave up two runs over four innings pitched. Bennett led all pitchers with six total strikeouts.
Next week, Cedar Rapids hosts the Quad Cities River Bandits from August 3 through August 8. Tuesday's series opener is set for 6:35 p.m. at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium, and broadcast coverage can be found on www.kernels.com and MiLB.TV.
Special events for the upcoming Kernels homestand include Friday's t-shirt giveaway presented by RAYGUN and Urban Acres along with Sunday's Kid Heroes recognition ceremony sponsored by O'Brien Family McDonald's. Details on all listed 2021 promotions are available via www.kernels.com.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from August 1, 2021
- Loftin Completes Cylce with Walk-Off Blast in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tena and Delgado Go Yard as Captains Clinch Series - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Win Secures Series over Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Twelve Runs Not Enough for South Bend - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Win Fourth In-A-Row With Another Offensive Outpouring - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Top Dragons 7-2 Despite Two Dayton Home Runs on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Homestand Ends with Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Simoneit Does It All in TinCaps Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beck Opens 3-0 Kernels Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beeter Waives Five in Three Innings for 5-1 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Dominate In Series-Splitting Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Settle for Split in Midland - West Michigan Whitecaps
- High School Baseball All-Star Games at Neuroscience Group Field on August 8 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Information: August 1 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels Advance to the High-A Central Championship Series
- Kernels Remain Tied for #2 Seed
- Steven Cruz placed on 7-day IL & Ryan Shreve reinstated from 7-day IL
- Varland ties career-high 11 strikeouts, but Kernels fall
- Kernels Offense Shut Down in Series Opener in Peoria