TinCaps Dominate In Series-Splitting Win
LANSING, Mich. - The Fort Wayne TinCaps took a commanding win to earn a series split against the Lansing Lugnuts (Oakland Athletics affiliate) on Sunday afternoon, winning 12-1 at Jackson Field.
While the offense exploded, pitching stole the show for Fort Wayne. Sparked by starter Danny Denz, the staff allowed just the one run in the ninth inning on four total hits, the first for Lansing not coming until the bottom of the seventh. Denz, in his fifth start of the season, fired 4 2/3 no-hit innings, struck out four and walked just one hitter.
Lansing starting pitcher Shohei Tomioka loaded the bases in the the top of the second inning, and the TinCaps (36-42) capitalized with a bases-loaded walk from center fielder Reinaldo Ilarraza and a run-producing fielder's choice by designated hitter Jonny Homza.
In the third, right fielder Agustin Ruiz blasted his team-leading 14th home run of the season to right field to extend the TinCaps lead to 3-0.
The floodgates opened for Fort Wayne in the fourth. The 'Caps sent 11 hitters to the plate, and scored five runs. Ruiz ripped a two-run double to left-center field to open the scoring in the frame. Left fielder Tirso Ornelas followed with a sacrifice fly to right, and first baseman Chris Givin followed that with the second bases-loaded walk of the day. A wild pitch drove in the eighth run of the game for the TinCaps on a swinging third strike, plating shortstop Justin Lopez.
The 8-0 lead held until the top of the ninth, when Fort Wayne added four more against Lansing's starting first baseman William Simoneit, who came on to pitch the final two innings. The Lugnuts (37-41) scored their lone run when Simoneit doubled in the bottom of the ninth.
Four TinCaps had multi-hit days, including Ruiz, who tied a season-high with four. Ruiz also had four RBIs and finished a triple shy of the cycle.
Next Game: Tuesday, August 3 @ Great Lakes (7:05 p.m.)
Listen: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from August 1, 2021
- Loftin Completes Cylce with Walk-Off Blast in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tena and Delgado Go Yard as Captains Clinch Series - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Win Secures Series over Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Twelve Runs Not Enough for South Bend - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Win Fourth In-A-Row With Another Offensive Outpouring - Beloit Sky Carp
- Captains Top Dragons 7-2 Despite Two Dayton Home Runs on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Homestand Ends with Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Simoneit Does It All in TinCaps Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beck Opens 3-0 Kernels Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beeter Waives Five in Three Innings for 5-1 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Dominate In Series-Splitting Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Settle for Split in Midland - West Michigan Whitecaps
- High School Baseball All-Star Games at Neuroscience Group Field on August 8 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Information: August 1 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Team Store Extends Hours for Holiday Season
- TinCaps Reading Program Ready for 2022
- Hundreds of Lutheran School Teachers and Administrators to Participate in Service Project
- Parkview Field Holiday Fireworks Presented by Pizza Hut
- TinCaps Holiday Season Beer Sampler on Sale