Homestand Ends with Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids
GRAND CHUTE, WI - Four Cedar Rapids Kernels pitchers combined on a four-hit shutout of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Sunday afternoon at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Timber Rattlers ended their two-week, twelve-game series with a 6-6 record.
The Kernels (44-34) scored single runs in the first two innings on RBI grounders. Matt Wallner drove in a run in the first inning on a ground out to second. Daniel Ozoria drove in a run with a grounder to third in the second inning and the Kernels were up 2-0.
Cedar Rapids added to their lead in the top of the fifth inning. Ozoria reached on lead-off double. Michael Helman singled to left and Ozoria scored on the play for a 3-0 advantage.
Wisconsin (37-40) was held off the scoreboard by Kernels starting pitcher Tyler Beck for the first five innings. The right-hander tossed five scoreless innings, walked two, allowed two hits, and struck out five before turning the game over to his bullpen.
Erik Manoah Jr was the first Kernels reliever and he worked 1-1/3 innings before leaving in the seventh with a runner on first. Osiris German got the final two outs of the seventh and the first out of the eighth after giving up a single. Zach Featherstone got the last two outs of the eighth and pitched around a one-out single by Carlos Rodríguez in the bottom of the ninth to pick up the save. The quartet of Kernels combined for twelve strikeouts and walked three.
Nick Bennett was the starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. He allowed two runs on five hits and struck out six over four innings. Freisis Adames allowed a run on six hits over four innings as the first pitcher out of the Wisconsin bullpen. Nash Walters worked a scoreless ninth.
All four of Wisconsin's hits were singles. Je'Von Ward, David Hamilton, Yeison Coca, and Rodríguez had Wisconsin's hits in the game.
Sunday was the fourth time the Timber Rattlers have been shutout this season. It was first time they have been shutout at home since a 4-0 loss to West Michigan on May 23.
The Timber Rattlers are off on Monday. They return to action on Tuesday when they help the Beloit Snappers open ABC Supply Stadium in Beloit, Wisconsin. Zach Mort (1-4, 6.91) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. Game time is 6:35pm. The radio broadcast will be on AM1280, WNAM and internet audio starting with the pregame show at 6:15pm.
R H E
CR 110 010 000 - 3 11 0
WIS 000 000 000 - 0 4 1
WP: Tyler Beck (2-1)
LP: Nick Bennett (1-1)
SV: Zach Featherstone (6)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from August 1, 2021
- Loftin Completes Cylce with Walk-Off Blast in Series Finale - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Tena and Delgado Go Yard as Captains Clinch Series - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Win Secures Series over Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Twelve Runs Not Enough for South Bend - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Win Fourth In-A-Row With Another Offensive Outpouring - Beloit Sky Carp
- Captains Top Dragons 7-2 Despite Two Dayton Home Runs on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Homestand Ends with Shutout Loss to Cedar Rapids - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Simoneit Does It All in TinCaps Triumph - Lansing Lugnuts
- Beck Opens 3-0 Kernels Shutout - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Beeter Waives Five in Three Innings for 5-1 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Dominate In Series-Splitting Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Settle for Split in Midland - West Michigan Whitecaps
- High School Baseball All-Star Games at Neuroscience Group Field on August 8 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Information: August 1 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Community First Credit Union to Present Return of Brats, Beer, & Beethoven in 2022
- Donald Driver, James Jones, AJ Dillon & More to Play in Charity Softball Game June 12
- Extended Store Hours for Snake Pit and Cyber Specials Are Set for Holiday Shopping Season with Timber Rattlers
- Fang Hosting Breakfast with Santa on December 4
- Start Your Christmas Shopping Early with Timber Rattlers Ticket Packages