Barnes Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year
Toledo, OH - On Sunday he set a new single season points record for the Walleye and today forward Tyler Barnes has been named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year. He is the recipient of the John A. Daley Memorial Trophy as the player selected most proficient in his first year of competition.
Barnes just set a new Walleye single season record with 74 points as he finished with 34 goals and 40 assists. He collected his second hat trick of the season in Sunday's 8-2 win over the Kalamazoo Wings. The 25-year-old finished the year leading all rookies in points and goals (34).
"A great and fitting honor for Tyler," said Head Coach Derek Lalonde. "His success came from his team first mentality. As the year went on he established an everyday mentality that led to great consistency on the ice."
He ranked second to teammate Shane Berschbach (48) in assists with 40. The native of Burnsville, Minnesota had 12 power play goals-- which are also the most for a rookie-- and he finished with 19 power play points. He also led all first year players with six shootout goals this year (in eight attempts).
Barnes was named ECHL Rookie of the Month for December when he had seven goals and 10 assists. Prior to turning professional, he spent four seasons at the University of Wisconsin. He scored 45 goals with 58 assists in 152 games for the Badgers.
John A. Daley passed away in 1996 and was one of the founding fathers of the ECHL. He served as General Manager and minority owner of the Johnstown Chiefs from its inception in 1988 until 1994. Barnes joins Sean Venedam (1997-98) as the only players in Toledo ECHL history to win the award.
The Walleye playoff run begins on Thursday, April 16 with a best-of-seven Division Semi-Final Series against the Wheeling Nailers. Our Fish. Our Fight.
Images from this story
Toledo Walleye Forward Tyler Barnes
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 13, 2015
- Radio Recon's Ready to Explore Traditional Notions of Fair Play and Substantial Justice - Reading Royals
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Four Road Warriors Promoted to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- First Round Playoff Preview: Grizzlies, Steelheads Open Wednesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Mallards Playoff Update - Quad City Mallards
- Frozen in Time- 2014-15 IceMen Season Rewind - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Sign Rookie Forward Stewart - Quad City Mallards
- Guathier, Wilson Highlight End of the Year Awards - Wichita Thunder
- Cannata Returns to Reign - Ontario Reign
- Division Semifinals Preview - ECHL
- Brampton Beast Relieve Head Coach Brent Hughes of his Duties - Brampton Beast
- Toledo's Barnes Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year - ECHL
- Americans Costello Takes ECHL Scoring Title - Allen Americans
- Milan Joining Syracuse for Stretch Run - Wichita Thunder
- Kelly Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, April 14 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Weekly - Brabham Cup Champions - Toledo Walleye
- Barnes Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Start 2015 Playoff Run Friday on Home Ice - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoff Packages Now Available on ECHL.TV - ECHL
- Gladiators' 2014-15 Season in Review - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Little Receives AMI Graphics Plus Performer of the Year Award - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Costello Wins ECHL Scoring Title - ECHL
- Daniels, Little Are AMI Graphis ECHL PLus Performers of the Year - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.