Guathier, Wilson Highlight End of the Year Awards
Wichita, KS (April 13th) - The Wichita Thunder, proud member of the ECHL and powered by Toyota, handed out their End of the Year Awards on Saturday night as the team closed its inaugural season in the ECHL. Highlighting the ceremony was the selection of Danick Gauthier as Team MVP and Mike Wilson as the Defenseman of the Year.
Awards were handed out to the team's Unsung Hero, Most Improved Player, Community Service, Defenseman of the Year, Lewis Street Glassrattler of the Year and Most Valuable Player. Also honored at the game was the Fan of the Year and a special ceremony highlighting the back-to-back Thunder Championship teams that will be inducted into the Wichita Sports Hall of Fame this coming Saturday.
Dan Milan was named as the team's Unsung Hero this season. The Tampa Bay Lightning product had career highs in points (17), assists (16), and penalty minutes (178). Winning the Community Service Award for the third year in a row was RG Flath. The veteran forward donated countless hours of his time going to local schools, participating in handing out teddy bears over the holidays and even donated his hair when the team hit $10K during RACE Charities Night.
Mike Wilson was honored as the team's Defenseman of the Year. In his second go-around with the Thunder, he finished third on the team in points (50) and assists (37), tied for third in points by a blueliner in the league and fourth in the league in power play assists (19). Todd Hosmer claimed this year's Lewis Street Glassrattler of the Year. He finished with 43 points (22g, 21a) to go along with 91 penalty minutes.
The Team MVP award was given to Danick Gauthier, who reached the 30-goal plateau for the first time in his career and ended the season with 70 points. He finished with 20 multi-point outings, tied for second in power play goals (12) and second in power play points (27).
The Wichita Sports Hall of Fame announced earlier this year that the 1993-94 and 1994-95 Thunder championship teams are to be inducted into the Hall of Fame under the team category for this year's class. Rob Weingartner, Tom Roulston, Greg Smith, Bobby Desjardins, and Greg Neish represented the two squads while Victor Savage from the HOF presented a special award to them during the on-ice ceremonies. Fan of the year was given to Matthew Osenbaugh, who travels up from Hutchinson for every game.
Season tickets are on sale now. Don't delay! Call the Wichita Thunder office and visit with a season ticket rep today to learn more. Stay up-to-date on all the news during the off-season by visiting www.wichitathunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 13, 2015
- Radio Recon's Ready to Explore Traditional Notions of Fair Play and Substantial Justice - Reading Royals
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly - Tulsa Oilers
- Four Road Warriors Promoted to AHL Hartford - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- First Round Playoff Preview: Grizzlies, Steelheads Open Wednesday - Utah Grizzlies
- Mallards Playoff Update - Quad City Mallards
- Frozen in Time- 2014-15 IceMen Season Rewind - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Sign Rookie Forward Stewart - Quad City Mallards
- Guathier, Wilson Highlight End of the Year Awards - Wichita Thunder
- Cannata Returns to Reign - Ontario Reign
- Division Semifinals Preview - ECHL
- Brampton Beast Relieve Head Coach Brent Hughes of his Duties - Brampton Beast
- Toledo's Barnes Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year - ECHL
- Americans Costello Takes ECHL Scoring Title - Allen Americans
- Milan Joining Syracuse for Stretch Run - Wichita Thunder
- Kelly Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday, April 14 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Weekly - Brabham Cup Champions - Toledo Walleye
- Barnes Named CCM ECHL Rookie of the Year - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Start 2015 Playoff Run Friday on Home Ice - South Carolina Stingrays
- Playoff Packages Now Available on ECHL.TV - ECHL
- Gladiators' 2014-15 Season in Review - Atlanta Gladiators
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Little Receives AMI Graphics Plus Performer of the Year Award - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Costello Wins ECHL Scoring Title - ECHL
- Daniels, Little Are AMI Graphis ECHL PLus Performers of the Year - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.