Barnes Honored As Pitcher Of The Week
AKRON, OH - Aeros pitcher Scott Barnes was named Eastern League Pitcher of the Week today for the week ending May 23rd. The left-handed Barnes is the first Akron player this season to win a weekly award from the EL. He will be starting again tonight against the first-place Altoona Curve.
Barnes made just one start last week but it was one of the finest in his brief Double-A career. The 22-year-old delivered five no-hit innings last Tuesday and earned his first win in the Aeros 2-0 victory over the Curve. He struck out five batters and only walked four, inducing five groundball outs and six fly outs. The Akron bullpen continued his no-hit performance until an eighth inning single by Gorkys Hernandez, but that would be the only hit registered by the Curve that evening. The shutout was the third by the Aeros this season.
As remarkable as his outing in Altoona was, it was actually Barnes' second five-inning no-hitter of the year. He had another similar start on April 14th at Trenton where he held the Thunder hitless going into the sixth. On that night, he recorded three strikeouts and allowed one walk but did not earn a win a as the Thunder came from behind to defeat the Aeros 4-3.
With his outing against the Curve, Barnes improved his record to 1-4 on the season with a 6.11 ERA. Overall, he leads Akron and is tied for 12th in the Eastern League with 36 strikeouts. Batters are hitting just .245 against him in his eight starts.
The Indians acquired Barnes from the San Francisco Giants organization on July 27, 2009 in a trade that included former Aero Ryan Garko. Barnes initially was an 8th-round selection by the Giants out of St. John's University in the June 2008 Draft. He proceeded to post a 3-3 record and 2.06 ERA in 11 games (seven starts) between three teams in the San Francisco organization that season. In 2009, he began the year with San Jose of the Class A California League before the mid-season trade to the Indians. In six starts late last year with the Aeros, he went 2-2 with a 5.68 ERA and even made a five-inning shutout start in Akron's Eastern League Championship playoff run.
The Aeros begin a four-game series with the Curve again tonight starting at 7:05 p.m. at Canal Park. Barnes will look to dominate Altoona for a second time this year as he matches up against right-hander Tim Alderson (2-2, 6.08 ERA). As with all Monday home games, fans can purchase $1 hot dogs all night long. Tonight's game broadcast begins at 6:50 p.m. on Sports Radio 1350 AM and online at www.akronaeros.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at (330) 253-5151.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 24, 2010
- Baysox Down Senators in 15 - Harrisburg Senators
- Presley's Record Night Lifts Curve past Aeros, 11-1 - Altoona Curve
- Altoona Smashes Aeros 11-1 in Series Opener - Akron RubberDucks
- Adams Placed on DL/INF Mahoney Transferred to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- Thunder Go Past Erie, 6-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Survive B-Mets in Opener, 3-2 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Cooper's Two RBIs Not Enough in 8-7 Walk-Off Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Antonini's Quality Start Not Enough, B-Mets Fall 3-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Rock Cats Blow Lead, Come Back to Edge Fisher Cats 8-7 - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Wolves Drop Sixth Straight Game - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Drop Series Opener to Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Game Notes - Akron RubberDucks
- The Principal Financial Group Family Fun Fest Is Coming To New Britian Tomorrow - New Britain Rock Cats
- Barnes Honored As Pitcher Of The Week - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Make New Roster Transactions - Altoona Curve
- Bergesen Bobbles Back to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- Eastern League Pitcher-Player Of The Week Awards Week Ending May 23rd - New Britain Rock Cats
- Baysox Announce That Orioles Advocates Will Start Collecting Equipment - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- RubberDucks to Honor Browns Legend Joe Thomas with New Extreme Food Item
- RubberDucks National Anthem Auditions Set for March 17
- RubberDucks Release Full 2018 Promotional Calendar
- RubberDucks Announce Staff Changes for 2018 Season
- RubberDucks Six-Hour Suite Heart Special Sale Is February 22