Aviators Fly Past Freedom Late in Series Opener
(Florence, KY) - The Florence Freedom (26-29), presented by Titan Mechanical Solutions, fell to the Rockford Aviators (31-23) by a score of 5-2 Wednesday night.
Rockford took control in the seventh and eighth innings, scoring three runs against the Florence bullpen to outlast the Freedom on Local Heroes Night presented by Dr. Charles Kenner of Kenner Dentistry at UC Health Stadium.
With the Freedom trailing 2-0, Florence got on the board in the bottom half of the first. Daniel Fraga walked and stole second. Fraga moved to third on a Zac Mitchell infield single and came around to score on Collins Cuthrell sacrifice fly. Florence trailed 2-1 after one inning.
Florence trailed 2-1 heading to the bottom of the third inning. Cuthrell singled and came into score on a Sam Eberle RBI double that rattled off the wall in right-center field. After three frames, the game was even at two.
Florence starter Tony Vocca went four innings and allowed two runs to cross, both in the first inning. Vocca did not factor in the decision.
Zach Wendorf (0-1) picked up the loss out of the 'pen for the Freedom, tossing a scoreless fifth and sixth innings, but allowed two runs to cross in the seventh. Pete Levitt came on in relief of Wendorf to retire three batters in the seventh, but did allow the two runners he inherited to score on a Justin Fox two-RBI single. Austin Delmotte pitched the final two innings, allowing a solo home run while fanning three.
The Freedom have a day/night doubleheader scheduled against the Aviators on Thursday. First pitch of game one is set for 11:05 a.m. and first pitch of game two is at 6:35 p.m. Get your tickets here to watch the Freedom in action all season.
Fans who can't make the games can listen live to all 96 Freedom games on http://mixlr.com/florencefreedom/.
To keep up with all the latest Florence Freedom news and to learn about exclusive deals and contests, make sure to like the team on Facebook and follow the team on Twitter.
The Florence Freedom, presented by Titan Mechanical Solutions, are members of the Frontier League of Professional Baseball. The Frontier League is the oldest continuously operating independent professional league, entering its 23rd season in 2015. For more information about the Frontier League visit www.frontierleague.com.
Images from this story
Collins Cuthrell of the Florence Freedom
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 22, 2015
- Miners Use Timely Hitting to Pull Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Klein, Bats Lead Miners Past Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Aviators Fly Past Freedom Late in Series Opener - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Crush CornBelters 16-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Allen, Aviators Get Back on Track with Win in Florence - Rockford Aviators
- Boomers Steal Late Road Decision - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Pound CornBelters to Even Mid-Week Series - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use trio of three-run innings to beat Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Drop Game Two in Turnpike Series, Crushers Win 9-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Untimely Hitting and Poor Defense Snap Otters' 7 Game Streak, 4-3 - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Fall to Greys 11-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- July 22 Florence Freedom Game Notes & Updated Roster - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win Sixth Straight - River City Rascals
- Normal CornBelters Game Tonight - Normal CornBelters
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.