Boomers Steal Late Road Decision
O'FALLON, Mo. - The two-time defending Frontier League Champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, plated two two-out runs in the top of the eighth to steal a 5-4 win over the River City Rascals on Wednesday night.
TJ Bennett, celebrating his birthday, deliver a two-run single to hand the Boomers a 5-4 lead in the eighth. Bennett's hit came against the fifth hurler of the inning and drove home Jordan Dean and Craig Massey. Schaumburg previously held leads of 2-0 and 3-2 in the game. The Boomers tallied two runs in the first on an RBI single from Massey and a groundout from Justin Vasquez. Vasquez lifted a sacrifice fly in the third before River City tallied two in the bottom of the inning.
Starter Brett Mabry logged 6.1 innings, allowing four runs in a no-decision. Hideyoshi Otake collected the win with 2.2 scoreless innings of relief. Dean finished with two hits in the game, pulling even with Michael Valadez for first all-time in team history with 223. Massey added two hits while Bennett and Vasquez drove home two each.
The Boomers (24-32) conclude the roadtrip to open the second half with the rubber contest at River City on Thursday night at 6:35 p.m. RHP Raul Jacobson (1-1, 3.10) is scheduled to start opposite LHP Lucas Laster (1-2, 3.55). Hear all of the action on AM 1410 WRMN with the voice of the Boomers, Tim Calderwood. The Boomers return home on Friday for an action-packed homestand. Ensure your place in the fun at Boomers Stadium this summer by calling (847) 461-FOWL (3695).
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 22, 2015
- Miners Use Timely Hitting to Pull Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Klein, Bats Lead Miners Past Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Aviators Fly Past Freedom Late in Series Opener - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Crush CornBelters 16-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Allen, Aviators Get Back on Track with Win in Florence - Rockford Aviators
- Boomers Steal Late Road Decision - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Pound CornBelters to Even Mid-Week Series - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use trio of three-run innings to beat Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Drop Game Two in Turnpike Series, Crushers Win 9-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Untimely Hitting and Poor Defense Snap Otters' 7 Game Streak, 4-3 - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Fall to Greys 11-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- July 22 Florence Freedom Game Notes & Updated Roster - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win Sixth Straight - River City Rascals
- Normal CornBelters Game Tonight - Normal CornBelters
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.