Allen, Aviators Get Back on Track with Win in Florence
Florence, KENTUCKY - The Rockford Aviators got back on track Wednesday night, defeating the Freedom 5-2 in the first game of their 3 game set in Florence. Kyle Allen returned from the IR list to throw six strong innings, and Justin Fox had three hits in the game to lead the Aviators to the victory.
Things started well for the Aviators. They were able to tag Freedom starter Tony Vocca for 2 runs in the first frame. Fox and Danny Stienstra were able to cross in the inning, with Stienstra and Lenahan picking up RBI with base hits.
Allen, who was making his first start since the middle of June, limited the Freedom to just 5 hits and 2 runs over 6 innings of work. The righty, who missed extended time due to tightness in his forearm, was sharp enough to earn his 3rd W of the year.
Allen escaped a couple of tight spots with the help of his defense, perhaps none more spectacular than Michael Hur leaping at the wall and bring back a near-homer off the bat of Collins Cuthrill in the 5th. The Aviators turned a double play and did not commit an error in the game.
With the score tied at 2 entering the 7th, Collin Shaw and Hur got things going. Shaw singled to start the inning and Hur moved him to 3rd with a double. Facing a new reliever for the Freedom, Fox singled up the middle to bring both home. Dusty Robinson would add a homer the next inning to make it 5-2.
Aviators relievers were spectacular in the game, facing just 10 men over three innings. Colby Holmes, Matt Frahm, and Patrick Dolan each pitched 1 inning, and each struck out 2 men.
Allen got the win, and Dolan notched his 2nd save. The victory was the 31st of the year for the Aviators, who square off with the Freedom in a day-night doubleheader tomorrow. Start time in Game 1 is 11:05 am ET/10:05 CT and Game 2 will begin at 6:35 pm ET/5:35 CT.
Tune into a live broadcast of both games through rockfordaviators.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 22, 2015
- Miners Use Timely Hitting to Pull Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Klein, Bats Lead Miners Past Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Aviators Fly Past Freedom Late in Series Opener - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Crush CornBelters 16-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Allen, Aviators Get Back on Track with Win in Florence - Rockford Aviators
- Boomers Steal Late Road Decision - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Pound CornBelters to Even Mid-Week Series - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use trio of three-run innings to beat Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Drop Game Two in Turnpike Series, Crushers Win 9-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Untimely Hitting and Poor Defense Snap Otters' 7 Game Streak, 4-3 - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Fall to Greys 11-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- July 22 Florence Freedom Game Notes & Updated Roster - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win Sixth Straight - River City Rascals
- Normal CornBelters Game Tonight - Normal CornBelters
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.