Slammers Pound CornBelters to Even Mid-Week Series
NORMAL, Ill. - The Normal CornBelters, presented by Illinois Corn Farmers, were hit early and often on Wednesday night in a 16-2 loss to the Joliet Slammers at the Corn Crib.
The Belters fell behind early in the first inning when Slammers shortstop Alfredo Rodriguez hit a two-run triple. Mike Garza brought in Rodriguez on the next at-bat to give the Slammers a 3-0 lead.
The Slammers added to their early lead in the second inning when Nate Roberts hit an RBI single to bring in Max Casper and push the lead to 4-0.
Belters starter Kevin Brahney (4-4) pitched two innings before being pulled. Brahney finished with eight hits, two walks and one strikeout while giving up seven runs (five earned).
The Slammers continued pouring onto the Belters in the third inning when Sam Klein hit out to left field where Ozney Guillen committed an error allowing in two runs. Jack Cleary came home on a passed ball. Charlie White hit an RBI single. Carlos Lopez hit a sacrifice fly bringing in Casper. Garza hit a three-run RBI triple to left field pushing the Slammers lead to 12-0, scoring eight times in the frame while batting 12 men.
The Belters put a run up on the board in the fifth inning when Sam Judah came home on a fielder's choice by Cameron Monger trimming the Slammers lead to 12-1.
Mark Micowski gave the Belters their second run of the night in the sixth inning after hitting a triple and scoring on a fielder's choice by Santiago Chirino to cut the deficit to 12-2.
The Slammers added to their lead in the eighth inning when Phil Bates came home on a passed ball. Cleary came home on an error as well. The first earned run came in when Hunter Ridge hit an RBI single to bring in Sam Klein. Nate Roberts hit an RBI double to bring in the final run, giving the Slammers a 16-2 lead.
Slammers starter Andrew Strenge's (5-5) night ended after seven innings. Strenge threw a two-hitter with two walks while striking out six.
The CornBelters (32-24) fall into a tie for the Frontier League West Division lead with Rockford and face off with the Slammers (23-33) in the rubber match on Thursday night at 6:35. Broadcast time on WEZC-FM 95.9 and WJBC.com is 6:20 with listen links found on Facebook, Twitter (@normal_baseball) and www.normalbaseball.com.
THE NIBLET: CornBelters full season tickets for the 2015 season are currently on sale! To purchase full season tickets tickets, or for more information, please contact the CornBelters today at (309) 454-2255 (BALL) or stop by The Mid-Illini Credit Union Box Office at The Corn Crib during normal business hours.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 22, 2015
- Miners Use Timely Hitting to Pull Past Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Klein, Bats Lead Miners Past Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
- Aviators Fly Past Freedom Late in Series Opener - Florence Y'alls
- Slammers Crush CornBelters 16-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Allen, Aviators Get Back on Track with Win in Florence - Rockford Aviators
- Boomers Steal Late Road Decision - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Pound CornBelters to Even Mid-Week Series - Normal CornBelters
- Crushers use trio of three-run innings to beat Wild Things - Lake Erie Crushers
- Wild Things Drop Game Two in Turnpike Series, Crushers Win 9-5 - Washington Wild Things
- Untimely Hitting and Poor Defense Snap Otters' 7 Game Streak, 4-3 - Evansville Otters
- ThunderBolts Fall to Greys 11-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- July 22 Florence Freedom Game Notes & Updated Roster - Florence Y'alls
- Rascals Win Sixth Straight - River City Rascals
- Normal CornBelters Game Tonight - Normal CornBelters
- Evansville Otters Game Preview - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.