Austin Zemlak Scores First WHL Goal in Royals Loss
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals (12-19-4-0) lost 4-2 in a close battle against the Vancouver Giants (16-17-2-0) on Friday night.
Austin Zemlak scored his first WHL goal tonight after having missed most of the season due to an injury. The 16-year-old was excited to score in front of the home crowd.
"It was awesome. Such a great experience and I'm really happy. It's all just one step closer to getting back in the game for me," the defenceman said.
The Giants opened the scoring in the first when Cole Shepard scored on a tic-tac-toe play from Alex Cotton and Fabian Lysell to make it 1-0 six minutes in. The Royals, who had multiple close calls, were able to even it out at 11:06 when Riley Gannon scored his 11th goal of the season with assists from Evan Patrician and Matthew Hodson. With the minutes winding down, Adam Hall almost made it a 2-1 game when he outskated Campbell Arnold for the puck but missed on the open net to keep it tied ending the first.
The Royals found themselves killing off two penalties in the first half of the second, one to Wyatt Wilson for cross-checking and the other to Kalem Parker for closing his hand on the puck. With just over ten minutes to go, Shepard made a centering pass to Lysell who made it 2-1 for the Giants.
Vancouver was really applying the pressure in the third period and at 7:27 Connor Horning made it 3-1 off a deflection with assists from Tom Cadieux and Ty Thorpe. The Royals refused to give up and kept rushing towards the Giants net when Zemlak scored his first WHL goal from the point with an assist from Tanner Scott to make it 3-2. With one minute to go, Victoria pulled Arnold to get the extra attacker, but it was Zack Ostapchuk who scored on the empty net for the Giants to end the game 4-2.
Arnold was in net for the Royals tonight and made 35 saves on 38 shots while Will Gurski made 17 saves on 19 shots for the Giants.
GM and Head Coach Dan Price feels the team has continued to build good momentum and will be ready to take on the Everett Silvertips tomorrow night.
"We had some great chances tonight and a couple of close calls that just missed. Austin Zemlak had a great shot to score that really gave us some traction towards the end," Price said. "Our focus tonight will be rest and recovery and we're looking forward to playing Everett tomorrow."
Tomorrow night the Royals welcome the Everett Silvertips for the Halfway to Summer Jam presented by Molson Canadian.
For tickets to upcoming Royals games, visit the Victoria Royals ticketing page or call the Select Your Ticket box office at 250-220-7777.
The Royals are also offering two holiday ticket packages for fans this season. Buy four vouchers for $70 or six for $100 and receive a special Royals gift. This offer is valid until January 31, 2021.
Follow the Royals on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and TikTok and visit our website to find out more about ticket sales and the latest news on the team. To get all your Royals news in one place, download the new Royals app available on both Apple and Google stores.
Images from this story
Victoria Royals right wing Anthony Wilson (left) vs the Vancouver Giants
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Raiders End Weekend with Loss to Tigers - Prince Albert Raiders
- Preview: Ams and Chiefs Face off at Toyota Center - Tri-City Americans
- Game Day Hub: Jan 22 vs Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Preview: Warriors Looking to Carry Momentum into Road Trip - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Look to Bounce Back at Tri-City - Spokane Chiefs
- Gameday Preview - January 22 at Prince Albert - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game 37 - ICE at Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- T-Birds Touchdown on Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Start Road Trip with 7-0 Loss to Seattle Thunderbirds - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Stop Cougars' Streak - Prince George Cougars
- Pair of Third Period Goals Pushes Winterhawks Past Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Fall 9-2 to Blades - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Fire Three Power-Play Goals en Route to Yet Another Road Win - Red Deer Rebels
- Third-Period Swing Sees Broncos Fall to Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Giants Return to the Win Column with a 4-2 Road Victory over the Royals - Vancouver Giants
- Austin Zemlak Scores First WHL Goal in Royals Loss - Victoria Royals
- Blades Explode for Nine Goals to Defeat Medicine Hat - Saskatoon Blades
- Kozak Nets Two as Hawks Top Tri-City 5-3 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Drop Friday Night Tilt with ICE - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Legend Clark Gillies Passes Away - Regina Pats
- McClennon's Hat Trick Tops Prince Albert - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Announce Signing of Third Overall Pick Cole Reschny to Standard Player Agreement
- Royals Select 10 in Thursday's WHL Prospect Draft
- Royals Select Forward Cole Reschny with Third Overall Pick in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Royals Select Forwards Rui Han and Zach Spagnuolo in WHL US Priority Draft
- Royals Sign Defenceman Matthew Keller