Giants Return to the Win Column with a 4-2 Road Victory over the Royals
Victoria, B.C. - Friday night on Vancouver Island the Vancouver Giants (16-17-2-0) secured a 4-2 road victory over the Victoria Royals (12-19-4-0). Fabian Lysell (1G, 2A) paced the Giants attack with three points while Cole Shepard, Connor Horning and Zack Ostapchuk all added goals. Victoria countered with goals from Riley Gannon and Austin Zemlak. The Giants peppered the Victoria goal with 38 shots while the Royals countered with 19 on Jesper Vikman.
VAN - Cole Shepard (4) opened the scoring for the Giants off a tic-tac-toe passing play. 6:30 waas the time of the goal as Fabian Lysell and Alex Cotton combine for the assists in what was a strong start to the game for the road side.
VIC - Riley Gannon answered for Victoria off a centering feed from the right-wing. Gannon snuck by a couple of Giants defenders, stood in the slot and one-timed an Evan Patrician feed home for his 11th.
Shots: 9-8 Victoria
VAN - Fabian Lysell restored the Giants lead for the Giants at 9:42 when he finished off a Cole Shepard pass of a Victoria turnover in the far corner of their zone. For Lysell it was his team-leading 12th goal of the season.
Shots: 16-4 Vancouver
VAN - At 7:27 of the final period, Connor Horning's point shot switched directions of a Royals defender and bounced past a sprawled Campbell Arnold and in. Horning's eighth goal of the season was set up by newcomer Tom Cadieux and Fabian Lysell.
VIC - At 14:04, Rookie Austin Zemlak moved the Royals back within one when he fired his first career WHL goal past Jesper Vikman from the left-wing circle. The lone assist on the play was credited to Tanner Scott.
VAN - Zack Ostapchuk (9) ended all hopes of a Victoria comeback at 19:10 when he iced the game with an empty net goal from the right-wing off the rush. Ty Thorpe started the play with a defensive shot block, before sending Ostapchuk on his way down the right wing.
Final Score: Vancouver 4 - Victoria 2
Final Shots: 38 - 19 Vancouver
Jesper Vikman: 17/19 saves for Vancouver
Campbell Arnold: 34/37 saves for Victoria
Vancouver Power Play: 0/3
Victoria Power Play: 0/4
1) Cole Shepard (VAN - 1G, 1A)
2) Fabian Lysell (VAN - 1G, 2A)
3) Austin Zemlak (VIC - 1G)
Next Giants Game: A Wednesday road tilt on Wednesday in Kamloops at 7:00 PM.
- The Vancouver Giants jumped six points ahead of Victoria for seventh place in the Western Conference playoff standings, and are now just two points shy of Prince George for sixth after Friday's victory.
- Friday's game was Fabian Lysell's ninth multi-point game of the season.
- The Giants improved their road record to 8-9-1-0 with Friday's win.
- With his eighth goal of the season, Giants defenceman Connor Horning has now matched his previous season high for goals which he set during the 2018-19 season with the Swift Current Broncos.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2022
- Raiders End Weekend with Loss to Tigers - Prince Albert Raiders
- Preview: Ams and Chiefs Face off at Toyota Center - Tri-City Americans
- Game Day Hub: Jan 22 vs Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Preview: Warriors Looking to Carry Momentum into Road Trip - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Look to Bounce Back at Tri-City - Spokane Chiefs
- Gameday Preview - January 22 at Prince Albert - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game 37 - ICE at Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- T-Birds Touchdown on Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Start Road Trip with 7-0 Loss to Seattle Thunderbirds - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Stop Cougars' Streak - Prince George Cougars
- Pair of Third Period Goals Pushes Winterhawks Past Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Fall 9-2 to Blades - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Fire Three Power-Play Goals en Route to Yet Another Road Win - Red Deer Rebels
- Third-Period Swing Sees Broncos Fall to Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Giants Return to the Win Column with a 4-2 Road Victory over the Royals - Vancouver Giants
- Austin Zemlak Scores First WHL Goal in Royals Loss - Victoria Royals
- Blades Explode for Nine Goals to Defeat Medicine Hat - Saskatoon Blades
- Kozak Nets Two as Hawks Top Tri-City 5-3 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Drop Friday Night Tilt with ICE - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pats Legend Clark Gillies Passes Away - Regina Pats
- McClennon's Hat Trick Tops Prince Albert - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Unveil 2022-23 Home Schedule
- Giants Announce 2022 Home Opening Date of September 23rd vs. Seattle
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule
- Zack Ostapchuk, Mazden Leslie, Named to Canada Summer Camp Rosters
- Colton Roberts Invited to Canada's U-17 Summer Development Camp