Aucoin, Hamel Named Team Captains For AHL All-Star Classic
ALBANY, NY - The Albany River Rats announced today that the American Hockey League President and CEO David Andrews has named Albany's Keith Aucoin and Binghamton's Denis Hamel the playing captains for the 2008 AHL All-Star Classic in Binghamton, NY in January.
Captains for the American Hockey League All-Star teams are selected by the league president in recognition of their outstanding service and leadership to the AHL.
Keith Aucoin's selection to the All-Star Team marks the first time in eight years that a River Rats player has been chosen for two consecutive All-Star Classics; Assistant Coach Geordie Kinnear was previously the only Albany player be selected for back-to-back All-Star Games, being named to four straight seasons from 1995-1999.
Aucoin has played 416 career AHL games, totaling 131 goals and 281 assists for 412 points, including a team-best 24 points in 19 games with Albany this season. He has finished among the top 10 in AHL scoring three times in the last five years, and set career highs and franchise records with 72 assists and 99 points for the River Rats in 2006-07. Aucoin, who has added two assists in six NHL outings with the Carolina Hurricanes this season, was selected as a Second Team AHL All-Star at center in both 2006 and 2007, and is set to make his third career and third consecutive AHL All-Star Classic appearance. The native of Waltham, Mass., will captain the PlanetUSA AHL All-Star team.
Making his third career AHL All-Star Classic appearance (2000, 2006), left wing Denis Hamel is the Binghamton Senators franchise leader in goals, assists and points. He currently leads the AHL with 16 goals on the season, and has registered 227 goals and 195 assists for 422 points in 533 career AHL games with Binghamton and Rochester. A Calder Cup finalist with the Americans in 1999 and 2000, Hamel was a First Team AHL All-Star in 2003-04 and earned a share of the AHL's Willie Marshall Award in 2005-06, when he tied for the league lead with 56 goals. Hamel, a native of Lachute, Que., will captain the Canadian AHL All-Star team.
Previous players honored as AHL All-Star team captains include Mike Keane, Kip Miller, Eric Healey, Jimmy Roy, Craig Darby, Travis Richards, John Slaney, Randy Cunneyworth, Ken Gernander, current NHL head coaches Peter Laviolette and John Stevens and American Hockey League Hall of Famers Jody Gage and Tim Tookey (class of 2008).
Of the 427 players to take part in the AHL All-Star Classic since 1995, more than 93 percent have competed in the National Hockey League, including Patrice Bergeron, Pavol Demitra, Rick DiPietro, Patrik Elias, Ray Emery, Miikka Kiprusoff, Chris Kunitz, Kari Lehtonen, Ryan Miller, Martin St. Louis, Jason Spezza, Eric Staal and Steve Sullivan.
The 2008 AHL All-Star Classic will take place at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton, home of the AHL's Senators. The event features the 2008 AHL All-Star Skills Competition on Sunday, January 27 (7:00 ET) and the 2008 AHL All-Star Game on Monday, January 28 (7:00 ET), and will be televised live in the United States and Canada.
The River Rats have four games on their schedule for this week, beginning on Wednesday, December 12 at Bridgeport. Friday, December 14th Albany will play in Lowell for a 7:05 pm face off. Saturday the River Rats host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at 5:00 pm at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Sunday Albany is back in Bridgeport for a 4:00 pm game at the Arena at Harbor Yard.
Partial season tickets and flex ticket packages for the 2007-08 River Rats season are on sale now. For more information please contact the Albany River Rats at (518) 487-2244 or online at www.albanyriverrats.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2007
- Admirals to Feature US Cellular Teddy Bear Toss Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Celebrate a Holiday skate with the Aeros on December 19 - Houston Aeros
- Phantoms To Hold Toy Drives, Helping Hand Auction This Weekend - Adirondack Phantoms
- Syracuse Signs Karl Goehring - Syracuse Crunch
- Cook County Clerk To Help Wolves Rock The Vote - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals to Rock Out with Bret Michaels - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Release Johnson - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rourke Clears Waivers, Headed To Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Waddell released from PTO - Connecticut Whale
- IceHogs Players Spread Holiday Cheer - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Release Goaltender Karl Goehring - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers To Give Free Tickets For Kids December 26 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears battle at home Saturday and Sunday this week - Hershey Bears
- Aucoin, Hamel Named Team Captains For AHL All-Star Classic - Albany River Rats
- Crunch to Welcome New York State High School Football Champions - Syracuse Crunch
- Pair of Wolves Forwards Sent To Gwinnett - Chicago Wolves
- Hamel, Aucoin named team captains for 2008 AHL All-Star Classic - Binghamton Senators
- Moose join forces with Salvation Army, Toyota to collect toys this holiday season - Manitoba Moose
- Hamel, Aucoin named team captains for 2008 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.