Atlanta United to Open 2020 MLS Season at Nashville SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United will open its 2020 MLS Regular Season against expansion side Nashville SC on Saturday, Feb. 29 at 8:00 p.m. (EST) at Nissan Stadium. This is the second announced match of the 2020 season, as Atlanta will play at Soldier Field for Chicago Fire's home opener on March 21. The remainder of the club's MLS schedule will be announced at a later date.
Information on how to purchase tickets will be available in the coming weeks. For automatic 2020 schedule updates, click here to download the Atlanta United eCal.
Nashville SC currently has nine players on its roster including Designated Player Hany Mukhtar and MLS veterans Dax McCarty, David Accam, Anibal Godoy and Dave Romney. Along with fellow expansion team Inter Miami CF, Nashville will add up to five more players during Tuesday's 2019 MLS Expansion Draft (5:30 p.m.). For more information about the club, visit www.nashvillesc.com.
Atlanta will begin its competitive schedule in 2020 in Concacaf Champions League. The Round of 16 is scheduled to open Feb. 18-20 with the return leg scheduled for Feb. 25-27. Atlanta was drawn into Pot 1 alongside MLS teams Los Angeles FC, Montreal Impact, New York City FC and Seattle Sounders, as well as Mexican teams Cruz Azul, Tigres UANL and Club América. Atlanta's Round of 16 opponent will be drawn from Pot 2, which includes AD San Carlos (Costa Rica), Alianza FC (El Salvador), Comunicaciones FC (Guatemala), Club LeÃ³n (Mexico), FC Motagua (Honduras), Saprissa (Costa Rica), Olimpia (Honduras) and Portmore United (Jamaica). The draw will be held on Dec. 9 in Mexico City.
Atlanta United has qualified for MLS Cup Playoffs in each of its first three seasons, including claiming MLS Cup in 2018. Last year, Atlanta finished 18-12-4 (58 points) and reached the Eastern Conference Final. The club also won a pair of trophies last year, beating Minnesota United to win the 2019 U.S. Open Cup and Club América to win the 2019 Campeones Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 18, 2019
- Know Before You Go: MLS Expansion Draft at Ole Red Nashville - Nashville SC
- Washington Lawmakers Introduce Resolution Celebrating Sounders FC's 2019 MLS Cup Victory - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: November 18, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Extend Loan for Forward Cristian Pavon - LA Galaxy
- FC Cincinnati to Unveil 2020 Heritage Link Kit on December 3 - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Adds Defender Dave Romney - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Announces Inaugural Major League Soccer Match - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC to Host Atlanta United in Major League Soccer Debut on February 29 - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United to Open 2020 MLS Season at Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands Tour Presented by Events DC Summary - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Signs Forward Jerome Kiesewetter from El Paso Locomotive FC - Inter Miami
- Portland to Host eMLS League Series Two in February - Portland Timbers
- SXSW to Host 2020 eMLS Cup Presented by PlayStation - MLS
- New York Red Bulls and Sky Blue FC Announce New Partnership - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Schedules 2020 Preseason Match at Birmingham Legion FC
- Atlanta United Draws FC Motagua in 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw
- Atlanta United Finalizes Permanent Transfer of Emerson Hyndman
- 2020 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place December 9
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Jeff Larentowicz