Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One
ATLANTA - Atlanta United fell to Club America 3-0 in Leg One of the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals. America scored all three goals in the first half, and despite 58 percent possession and 11 shot attempts in the second half, Atlanta was unable to find a breakthrough. The return leg is scheduled for March 18 at Fifth Third Bank Stadium in Kennesaw.
Club America took the lead in the 11th minute with a notable goal from Leonardo Suarez. Off an attempted clearance from a corner kick, Suarez settled the ball from about 30 yards out and sent a left-footed shot into the upper right corner to beat a diving Brad Guzan. America doubled the lead just two minutes later, as Henry Martin was played through from Richard Sanchez. Martin's first touch went to the far post, leaving no chance for a save.
Bruno Valdes made it 3-0 in the 36th minute as America added to its lead from a corner kick. Sanchez sent a ball to the middle of the penalty area where Valdes headed it perfectly to the near post, again leaving Guzan without a chance.
Atlanta controlled most of the second half with 58 percent possession and 11 attempted shots, four of which were on target. Atlanta's best chance may have come from Pity Martinez, who hit the crossbar on a free kick in the 86th minute. In addition, Martinez, Ezequiel Barco and Manuel Castro each had attempts on target in the second half, but America goalkeeper Oscar Jimenez kept a clean sheet.
Atlanta is scheduled to return to action in MLS Regular Season play on Saturday, March 14 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium against Sporting Kansas City (7:00 p.m., FOX Sports Southeast, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Scotiabank Concacaf Champions Quarterfinals | Leg One
Club America 3, Atlanta United 0
Mexico City, Mexico
Shots: 18-17 Club America
Shots on Target: 7-5 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 8-5 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 13-11 Club America
Clearances: 14-13 Club America
Offside: 1-0 Club America
Possession: 57-43 Club America
Passing Accuracy: 90-81 Club America
AME - Leonardo Suarez 11' [HIGHLIGHT]
AME - Henry Martin (Richard Sanchez) 13' [HIGHLIGHT]
AME - Bruno Valdes (Richard Sanchez) 36' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Jake Mulraney (yellow) 42'
AME - Bruno Valdes (yellow) 64'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Anton Walkes, Fernando Meza, Jeff Larentowicz ©; Jake Mulraney (Adam Jahn - 66'), Emerson Hyndman, Mo Adams, Eric Remedi (Matheus Rossetto - HT, Manuel Castro - 58'), Brooks Lennon; Gonzalo MartÃnez, Ezequiel Barco.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, George Bello, George Campbell, J.J. Williams.
CLUB AMERICA STARTING LINEUP
Oscar Jimenez; Luis Fuentes, Jorge Sanchez, Bruno Valdez ©, Emanuel Aguilera; Santiago Caseres (Fernando Gonzalez - 89'), Richard Sanchez, Leonardo Suarez, Giovani dos Santos; Andres Ibargüen (Francisco CÃ³rdova - 57'), Henry Martin.
Substitutes not used: Guillermo Ochoa, Alonso Escoboza, Martinez, Federico Viñas, Ramon Juarez,
John Pitti (referee), Christian Ramirez (assistant), Ronald (assistant), Jose Kellys (fourth).
Matheus Rossetto entered the match at halftime for Eric Remedi but was forced off due to injury in the 58th minute. He completed all nine of his passes while on the pitch.
Manuel Castro subbed on for Rossetto and also had a successful night passing, going 10-of-11.
Ezequiel Barco had a game-high eight recoveries.
Anton Walkes led the team with three clearances.
Bruno Valdes picked up his second yellow card of the 2020 Concacaf Champions League and will miss the return leg for accumulation.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2020
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed - Houston Dynamo
- Josh Kroenke Statement on KSE-Owned Local Teams and Venues - Colorado Rapids
- Greece, Costa Rica Match at Red Bull Arena Canceled - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Statement Following Major League Soccer's Suspension of 2020 Season - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Statement on COVID-19 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLSE Statement on Suspension of NBA, NHL and MLS Seasons - Toronto FC
- MLS Season Suspended for 30 Days - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Issues Statement in Response to MLS Suspension and COVID-19 - Orlando City SC
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber Issues Statement on U.S. Soccer's Recent Filing - MLS
- Montreal Impact Issues Statement on Covid-19 - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo Issues Statement on Suspension of Major League Soccer Season - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Statement on MLS Season Suspension and 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Match - Los Angeles FC
- Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Game in Arlington Cancelled - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - Toronto FC
- New York Red Bulls Issue Statement on Suspended Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer, Inter Miami CF Suspend Season for Next 30 Days - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - LA Galaxy
- Events at Earthquakes Stadium to be Postponed Or Cancelled - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Issues Statement on Season Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Issues Statement on Major League Soccer Announcement - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Issue Statement on MLS Season Suspension - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Issues Statement on COVID-19 - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Statement on Major League Soccer Suspending Season - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - MLS
- Inter Miami CF and Fanatics Announce Long-Term, Omnichannel Retail Partnership - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One - Atlanta United FC
- Post-Match Notes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Tigres Uanl - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Begin Small Group Training on Monday
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto Win eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United Training Update: May 11
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto advance to Championship Sunday of eMLS Tournament Special
- Atlanta United players return to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground for individual workouts