MLSE Statement on Suspension of NBA, NHL and MLS Seasons
Over the past 24 hours, our respective Leagues suspended their seasons until further notice due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In an uncertain time, these were decisions made with the public's best interests in mind, and we, as an organization, are fully supportive in every case.
We are fully engaged with each League as they continually work with public health officials to determine next steps and make decisions related to their operations. MLSE will be an active and supportive partner in those conversations.
"The health and safety of our fans, teams, employees and the general public is our highest priority at all times," said Michael Friisdahl, President & CEO of MLSE. "As we work through this difficult and unprecedented situation, we are thankful for the understanding and support we have received from our fans and partners, including our Leagues and the live entertainment community. Our employees have shown great professionalism, as always, during this unpredictable time, and we are currently finalizing programs to assist our part-time and event staff, made up of close to 4,000 dedicated event personnel."
In addition to the suspension of the NBA, NHL and MLS seasons at Scotiabank Arena and BMO Field, and current touring arena shows domestically and internationally, Toronto Rock Lacrosse games and private events at the venues have also been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. MLSE LaunchPad will also suspend operations to protect users of the facility.
MLSE will provide further updates as information is made available to us from our respective Leagues.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2020
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed - Houston Dynamo
- Josh Kroenke Statement on KSE-Owned Local Teams and Venues - Colorado Rapids
- Greece, Costa Rica Match at Red Bull Arena Canceled - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Statement Following Major League Soccer's Suspension of 2020 Season - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Statement on COVID-19 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLSE Statement on Suspension of NBA, NHL and MLS Seasons - Toronto FC
- MLS Season Suspended for 30 Days - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Issues Statement in Response to MLS Suspension and COVID-19 - Orlando City SC
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber Issues Statement on U.S. Soccer's Recent Filing - MLS
- Montreal Impact Issues Statement on Covid-19 - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo Issues Statement on Suspension of Major League Soccer Season - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Statement on MLS Season Suspension and 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Match - Los Angeles FC
- Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Game in Arlington Cancelled - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - Toronto FC
- New York Red Bulls Issue Statement on Suspended Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer, Inter Miami CF Suspend Season for Next 30 Days - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - LA Galaxy
- Events at Earthquakes Stadium to be Postponed Or Cancelled - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Issues Statement on Season Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Issues Statement on Major League Soccer Announcement - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Issue Statement on MLS Season Suspension - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Issues Statement on COVID-19 - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Statement on Major League Soccer Suspending Season - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - MLS
- Inter Miami CF and Fanatics Announce Long-Term, Omnichannel Retail Partnership - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One - Atlanta United FC
- Post-Match Notes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Tigres Uanl - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.