Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers are in full support of Major League Soccer's decision to postpone the 2020 season for 30 days. Nothing is more important to us than the safety and well-being of our fans. Throughout the process, we have worked in tandem with local health authorities to help keep our fans, staff, players and community safe from the spread of COVID-19.
Additionally, in accordance with today's mandate by the State of Oregon to cancel public gatherings of more than 250 people, we have canceled the Portland Thorns FC preseason tournament, scheduled to take place from March 29-April 4.
The status of future matches for both clubs will be determined at a later date in conjunction with Major League Soccer, the National Women's Soccer League, public health authorities and government agencies.
Tickets purchased for postponed events are good for the new date of the match. With regard to canceled games, the Timbers and Thorns FC will reach out to fans with next steps.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 12, 2020
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed - Houston Dynamo
- Josh Kroenke Statement on KSE-Owned Local Teams and Venues - Colorado Rapids
- Greece, Costa Rica Match at Red Bull Arena Canceled - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Statement Following Major League Soccer's Suspension of 2020 Season - Colorado Rapids
- Whitecaps FC Statement on COVID-19 - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLSE Statement on Suspension of NBA, NHL and MLS Seasons - Toronto FC
- MLS Season Suspended for 30 Days - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Issues Statement in Response to MLS Suspension and COVID-19 - Orlando City SC
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber Issues Statement on U.S. Soccer's Recent Filing - MLS
- Montreal Impact Issues Statement on Covid-19 - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo Issues Statement on Suspension of Major League Soccer Season - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Statement on MLS Season Suspension and 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Match - Los Angeles FC
- Mexican National Team's 2020 U.S. Tour March Game in Arlington Cancelled - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - Toronto FC
- New York Red Bulls Issue Statement on Suspended Season - New York Red Bulls
- Major League Soccer, Inter Miami CF Suspend Season for Next 30 Days - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - LA Galaxy
- Events at Earthquakes Stadium to be Postponed Or Cancelled - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire FC Issues Statement on Season Suspension - Chicago Fire
- Sounders FC Issues Statement on Major League Soccer Announcement - Seattle Sounders FC
- New England Revolution Issue Statement on MLS Season Suspension - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Issues Statement on Suspension of MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Portland Timbers Issue Statement on MLS Season Postponement - Portland Timbers
- Columbus Crew SC Issues Statement on COVID-19 - Columbus Crew SC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - San Jose Earthquakes
- MNUFC Statement on Major League Soccer Suspending Season - Minnesota United FC
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days - MLS
- Inter Miami CF and Fanatics Announce Long-Term, Omnichannel Retail Partnership - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Falls 3-0 to Club America in Leg One - Atlanta United FC
- Post-Match Notes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Tigres Uanl - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Midfielder Dairon Asprilla Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair Procedure
- Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders FC Announce Special "SEAvPDX Week" to Recognize Rivalry with Unique Content and Activities
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Wins Week 3 of MLS Idle
- Thorns Academy Joins Elite Clubs National League Girls
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday