Alejandro Bedoya nets winner in team's first MLS Is Back match
CHESTER, Pa. - Before the opening kick-off of Philadelphia Union's MLS is Back contest against New York City FC, the team made a powerful statement by replacing their own names on the back of their jerseys with victims of police brutality. The club went on to earn three points after defeating New York City FC 1-0, Thursday morning. Union captain Alejandro Bedoya netted the eventual game winning goal in the 63rd minute, his first goal of the 2020 season. Goalkeeper Andre Blake recorded his first shutout of the 2020 season after making multiple key saves to preserve the victory. Additionally, Homegrown player Jack de Vries made his professional debut after coming on as a substitute in the 84th minute. The Union returns to action on Tuesday, July 14 vs. Inter Miami CF in the second Group A match of the MLS is Back Tournament (10:30 p.m. ET /TUDN).
Philadelphia Union 1 - NYCFC 0
Disney Wide World of Sports Complex (Orlando, Fla.)
Thursday, July 9, 2020
TODAY'S MATCH INFO:
Referee: Armando Villarreal
Assistant Referees: Eduardo Mariscal, Matthew Nelson
Fourth Official: Robert Sibiga
VAR: Timothy Ford
Assistant VAR: Cameron Blanchard
Weather: 84 degrees and partly cloudy
PHI - Alejandro Bedoya 63'
PHI - Jose Martinez (caution) 34'
PHI - Jamiro Monteiro (caution) 45+6'
NYCFC - Anton Tinnerholm (caution) 82'
PHI - Jakob Glesnes (caution) 89'
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner Alejandro Bedoya (Jack De Vries, 84'), José MartÃnez (Warren Creavalle, 73'), Jamiro Monteiro, Brenden Aaronson (Jakob Glesnes, 83'); Kacper Przybylko, Ilsinho (Anthony Fontana, 58')
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik, Matt Freese, Aurelien Collin, Matt Real, Olivier Mbaizo, Matej Oravec, Cole Turner
New York City FC: Sean Johnson; Anton Tinnerholm, James Sands, Alexander Callens, Ronald Matarrita; Alexander Ring, Keaton Parks (Jesus Medina, 45'), Ismael Tajouri-Shradi (Gary Mackay-Steven, 76'); Maximiliano Moralez (Gedion Zelalem, 76'), Valentin Castellanos (Gudmundur Thorarinsson, 90+3'), Heber
Substitutes not used: Luis Barraza, Maxime Chanot, Joe Scally, Tayvon Gray, Juan Torres, Justin Haak, Nicolas Acevedo
Goalkeeper Andre Blake made seven saves on the day, just three shy of his all-time record of 10 and one off his season high of eight. He also recorded his first shutout of the 2020 season, pushing his club record to 31. This marks Blake's 47th career win for Philadelphia.
Alejandro Bedoya scored his first goal of the season, his 11th career goal with the Union. It is his first goal since kick starting Philadelphia's 4-3 come-back victory over the New York Red Bulls in the 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs (10/20/2019). He also added two key passes, finished with an 86.5% passing accuracy and won 14 duels.
This 1-0 victory has been a rare result for the Union. The last 1-0 victory came on September 19, 2018 on the road against the Seattle Sounders. It is the first shutout victory for the Union since July 20, 2019 when they defeated the Chicago Fire 2-0.
18-year old Homegrown player Jack de Vries made his professional debut after coming into the match as a substitute in the 84th minute. For the third match in a row, four Homegrown players played for the Union. Mark McKenzie and Brenden Aaronson started for the third-straight match, with Anthony Fontana making a substitute appearance for the third-straight match as well.
The Union return to play July 14 vs. Inter Miami CF in the second Group A match of the MLS is Back Tournament (10:30 p.m. ET /TUDN).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 9, 2020
- Match Report - Montreal Impact 0-1 New England Revolution - Montreal Impact
- Revolution Open MLS Is Back Tournament with 1-0 Win against Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC and JOEtv to Produce Live Post-Match Show During MLS Is Back Tournament - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Launches Owner Sessions Featuring Mia Hamm-Garciaparra, Brandon Beck and Peter Guber - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Celebrate West End Stadium Construction Milestone - FC Cincinnati
- Notes & Quotes : New York City FC 0 - 1 Philadelphia Union - New York City FC
- Alejandro Bedoya nets winner in team's first MLS Is Back match - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Name Kevin Hartman Director of the LA Galaxy Academy - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Acquire Future MLS SuperDraft Pick from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for T2 Forward Ryan Sierakowski - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy to Host Drive-In Watch Party at the Rose Bowl Stadium on July 13 for Opening Match in MLS Is Back Tournament - LA Galaxy
- TUDN Radio Houston to Broadcast Houston Dynamo Games Through 2022 Season - Houston Dynamo
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Clash on National TV Saturday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Schedule Changes for Sounders FC Announced in MLS Is Back Tournament - Seattle Sounders FC
- City's #MLSisBack Schedule Updated Following Nashville Withdrawal - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Featuring Gainbridge as Sponsor for MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF's Revised MLS Is Back Group Stage Schedule, Opponents Updated - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Withdrawn from the MLS Is Back Tournament - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Joins Group B in MLS Is Back Tournament - Chicago Fire
- KC2026 World Cup Bid Committee Presents to FIFA and U.S. Soccer - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Withdrawn from MLS Is Back Tournament - MLS
- MLS Announces Changes to Groups for MLS Is Back Tournament - San Jose Earthquakes
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Montreal Impact - New England Revolution
- Andres Reyes in Good Spirits; Back at Team Hotel - Inter Miami CF
- Achara Undergoes Successful Surgery - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Introduces Events DC Jersey Sponsorship for MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Nani's Stoppage Winner Leads Orlando City Past Inter Miami in Inaugural Match - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF Kicks off MLS Is Back Tournament, Narrowly Falls 2-1 to Orlando City SC - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union on to MLS is Back Semifinals
- Sergio Santos scores match winner, Union advance to MLS is Back Tournament Quarterfinals
- Goal from Ilsinho earns Union another point in draw against Orlando
- Five players make their debut in Union II's return to play
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract