Aeros Squeeze Past Ak-Sar-Ben Knights, 2-1
Houston, TX - Three meetings with the Houston Aeros have resulted in three one-goal games for the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights. Unfortunately, all three games have been losses. The Aeros beat the Knights 2-1 on Wednesday night at the Toyota Center in Houston. The Aeros erased a one-goal deficit with two second-period goals and hung on for the win.
The Knights opened the scoring at the 15:20 mark of the first. Mark Giordano took a pass from Carsen Germyn, twisted through traffic and threw a wrist shot past goaltender Josh Harding for his third goal of the season.
Houston made adjustments in the second period, and it paid off. First, Erik Westrum notched his team-leading tenth goal of the year, banging in a rebound while falling down. The goal came just 2:28 into the period. Later with Houston on the powerplay, Roman Voloshenko steered a pass from Erik Reitz past Curtis McElhinney to give the Aeros their first lead of the game.
It held up thanks to the goaltending of Harding who made 18 saves for his seventh win of the year.
The Knights are now 5-6-0-3. They will conclude their four-game road trip on Friday when they face the Aeros again, this time at 7:35 p.m. All the action can be heard on 1420 AM and on the internet at omahaaksarbenknights.com. The game is also available through the B2 Networks' link on the web site.
The Ak-Sar-Ben Knights return home on Sunday, November 13th to host the Toronto Marlies at 5:00 p.m. Fans are invited to bring their skates for a "Skate With The Team" immediately following the game. Children will also be required to wear helmets. In addition, the Knights will be giving away their official 2005-2006 team photo to everyone in attendance.
Tickets for all home games are on sale at the Civic Auditorium box office, Monday through Friday, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and all Ticketmaster outlets. Tickets may be purchased by calling 422-1212 or at Ticketmaster.com. The Knights' next home game will be Sunday, November 13th when they host the Toronto Marlies at 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 9, 2005
- Usual suspects propel Houston to win - Houston Aeros
- Danis Leads 'Dogs to Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Aeros Squeeze Past Ak-Sar-Ben Knights, 2-1 - Abbotsford Heat
- Canucks Sign Burrows, Rypien - Manitoba Moose
- Coleman Headed To Tampa Bay - Springfield Falcons
- AHL suspends Jacques - Hamilton Bulldogs
- AHL announces suspensions - AHL
- Aeros release D Myrvold - Houston Aeros
- Penguins weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jillson recalled by Buffalo - Rochester Americans
- Nickulas returned to P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Rivermen lose defenseman, receive left wing - Peoria Rivermen
- Atlanta recalls Berkhoel, Wolves sign Tarkki - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals set macaroni madness - Milwaukee Admirals
- Mike Jarmuth returned to Trenton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Iowa recalls center from Augusta Lynx - Iowa Chops
- AHL weekly release - AHL
- Injury puts damper on Hartford Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs promotions announced - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs scheduled to meet with Binghamton Senators - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Bulldogs promotions - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Lightning reassign Tarnasky and Eklund to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Moose sign Moscevsky to PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Canadiens assign Danis to Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- B-Sens announce TV partnership with UPN-8 - Binghamton Senators
- Houston Aeros game notes - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.