Abbotsford Heat Left Wing Sven Baertschi Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The American Hockey League announced today that Abbotsford Heat left wing Sven Baertschi has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending Apr. 6, 2014.
Baertschi collected three goals and four assists for seven points, along with a plus-7 rating, in two games last week as the Heat closed in on securing a berth in the Calder Cup Playoffs.
In the opener of a two-game set against Rockford on Friday night, Baertschi tied a Heat franchise record with five points, scoring twice and recording three assists to help Abbotsford to a 6-3 victory. Then in Saturday's rematch, Baertschi scored the game-winning goal and tallied another assist as the Heat beat the IceHogs, 5-3. The victories moved Abbotsford 10 points ahead of ninth-place Rockford in the Western Conference with two weeks remaining in the 2013-14 regular season.
Baertschi, who now has 18 points in his last 12 games for the Heat, is in his second professional season after being selected in the first round (13th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by Calgary. The 21-year-old native of Lagenthal, Switzerland, has totaled 13 goals and 16 assists for 29 points in 38 games with Abbotsford this season, along with two goals and nine assists for 11 points in 26 NHL games with the Flames.
In recognition of his achievement, Baertschi will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Heat home game.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2014
- Abbotsford Heat Left Wing Sven Baertschi Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Abbotsford Heat
- Inside the Comets: Director of Game Operations Gina Nassivera - Utica Comets
- Purple Night Jerseys Now on Sale - Portland Pirates
- Sissons Reassigned to Milwaukee, Ads Sign Vainonen - Milwaukee Admirals
- Regner Wins Tim Breslin Unsung Hero Award - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Islanders Recall Brett Gallant from Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage to Host Military Appreciation Night on Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Weekly: Bulldogs Wrap up Nine-Game Road Trip this Week - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Clinch Northeast Division Title - Springfield Falcons
- Coyotes Sign Justin Hache to Entry-Level Contract - Portland Pirates
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Fast Leads Wolf Pack to 3-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Pirates to Auction off Purple Jerseys to Benefit Central Maine Comprehensive Cancer Center - Portland Pirates
- Abbotsford's Sven Baertschi Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- IceHogs Fall Back in Muddied Playoff Picture - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Ben Rosen Reassigned to Stockton (ECHL) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rampage Sign Shayne Taker to ATO - San Antonio Rampage
- Panthers Recall Drew Shore, Reassign Bobby Butler to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Wild Releases Aneloski from PTO - Iowa Wild
- Jets Recall Carl Klingberg from IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Jack Skille Recalled by Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
- Rangers Recall Jesper Fast from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Falcons Sign T.J. Tynan to Amateur Tryout - Springfield Falcons
- Perfect Week Vaults Bears Up Standings - Hershey Bears
- Akeson and Chubak Bring the Noise on a Record-Setting Night - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.