Elmira Jackals Team up with Dave Clark Foundation on D3 Hockey CampJanuary 3, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) Elmira Jackals
"Dave Clark is a truly inspiring athlete who overcame immense odds to achieve his dreams. Now he is providing the same opportunities to similar children through his D3 Camps. All of that, along with the fact that he is originally from Corning, made this day a perfect fit for us," said Jackals general manager Matt Hufnagel.
Dave Clark addresses the campers before lunch.
Dave Clark is a Corning, New York native who contracted polio as an infant but overcame the disease in 1952. While his battle left him without full use of his legs, Clark went on to participate in Little League baseball playing pitcher and first base. Over the years he became such an accomplished player that he earned a professional contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates as a knuckleball pitcher. While Clark never ascended to the major leagues as a player he did play professionally in the minor leagues in the United States and in Sweden.
After his playing career ended, Clark worked as an instructor with the United States Olympic Baseball Team at the Summer Games in Atlanta in 1996 and eventually made it to the Major Leagues as a pitching instructor with the Atlanta Braves in 1999. But now his full focus is on running the Dave Clark Foundation which brings programs like the D3 Hockey Camp to children. D3 got its start as a baseball camp and was runner up in 2012 for the Minor League Baseball Promotion of the Year Award.
Captain Jean Bourbeau instructs a camper.
The Jackals had the honor of hosting the inaugural D3 Hockey Camp where the participants from around the Southern Tier spent the afternoon with the Jackals. After opening remarks from Dave Clark, the Jackals players and campers enjoyed lunch at the First Arena restaurant so that they could build their energy for a busy rest of the afternoon.
After lunch ended the campers and players went down to the arena concourse for crash course in hockey at four different stations. They learned all about stick handling, passing, shooting, and goaltending. After the stations were finished, each camper attempted a shootout-style breakaway with Artem Demkov defending the goal. Demkov won't be changing his position to goalie anytime soon because every camper scored and got to celebrate with the entire team! The day ended with a group photograph and the campers being presented with their certificates of achievement.
On Friday, January 4 the D3 campers will cheer the Jackals on when they face off against the rival Reading Royals. Prior to the game the Jackals will honor Dave Clark and his accomplishments by having him drop the ceremonial first puck.
Good seats are still available for the game so we hope that you will come out and help us celebrate an inspiring athlete and hometown hero, as well as all of the D3 campers who made today such a rousing success.
We can't wait for the next D3 Hockey Camp with the Dave Clark Foundation!
ECHL Stories from January 3, 2013
- Titans Get Busy with Roster Moves to Start 2013 - Trenton Titans
- Forward Matt Pope Loaned to Reading - Reading Royals
- Elmira Jackals Team up with Dave Clark Foundation on D3 Hockey Camp - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Transactions - January 3 - ECHL
- K-Wings Return Home - Kalamazoo Wings
- Dustin Gazley Named to ECHL All-Star Team - Elmira Jackals
- Trenton Titans Week in Review - Trenton Titans
- Solar Bears to Bid on 2015 ECHL All-Star Game - Orlando Solar Bears
- Gladiators Lee Named to ECHL All-Star Game - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Ouellet Named to the 2013 ECHL All-Star Team - San Francisco Bulls
- Forward Toni Rajala Selected to ECHL All-Star Team - Stockton Thunder
- Josh Shalla Selected to 2013 ECHL All-Star Game - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Chris Francis Named to 2013 ECHL All-Star Team - Las Vegas Wranglers
- William Wrenn Selected to ECHL All-Star Team - Alaska Aces
- Komet Defenseman Daniel Maggio Named ECHL All-Star - Fort Wayne Komets
- Zapolski Named to ECHL All-Star Team - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mike Marcou Named to ECHL All-Star Team - Greenville Road Warriors
- Hockey Authors Featured On Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Reserves Announced for 2013 ECHL All-Star Game - ECHL
- Royals Sign Goaltender Drew MacIntyre - Reading Royals
- Trenton's Noebels Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Yannick Tifu Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month - Reading Royals
- Reading's Tifu Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Player of the Month - ECHL
- Zapolski Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - South Carolina Stingrays
- South Carolina's Zapolski Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Road Warriors Introduce Warriors for Education - Greenville Road Warriors
- Reichard seals first Thunder win of 2013 with 26 saves - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Shut out Wranglers with 2-0 Win - Ontario Reign
- Condors Prevail in a Shootout, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Torrey Mitchell Makes SF Bulls Debut, Scores in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Colorado - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign Drop Wranglers 2-0 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Steelheads Fall in Nine-Round Shootout - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Win Shootout in San Francisco, 2-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Stockton Edges Utah 2-1 - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.