Miners Avoid Sweep in SchaumburgAugust 30, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Southern Illinois Miners
The Miners began the game with such force off Boomers starter Alex Rivers in the top of the first as they scored five runs with two outs. Jason Ganek hit a double and brought in a run. Carlos Mendez hit a two RBI single and Cannon Lester hit his third home run of the season, a two run home run to give the Miners a 5-0 lead.
The Miners scored another run in the top of the second inning off Rivers as Jake Kaase hit his 12th home run of the season to give Southern Illinois a 6-0 lead. Schaumburg scored their only run in the bottom of the fourth inning, which was off Calhoun. With one out in the inning, designated hitter Steve McQuail hit a double to bring in left fielder Chad Mozingo to cut the Miners lead to five runs, 6-1.
Rivers lasted seven innings for Schaumburg and Miners reliever Steven Grife pitched a scoreless eighth inning, despite giving up two singles. The Miners scored three runs off Boomers reliever Tony Delmonico in the top of the ninth inning. Chris Anderson hit a two RBI double with no outs to score Carlos Mendez and Cannon Lester to give the Miners a 8-1 lead. Jake Kaase capped off the inning with a one out RBI single to give Southern Illinois a 9-1 lead. Gabriel Shaw pitched a scoreless ninth inning to give the Miners a 9-1 victory over Schaumburg.
With the win, the Miners improve to 54-38 on the regular season. Their magic number to clinch a wild card spot is two. The Miners begin their final regular season series at home this weekend against the Lake Erie Crushers. The Miners will send Cody Hall to the mound on Friday against Pat Arnold of Lake Erie. Hall will be looking for his tenth victory of the season.
The Southern Illinois Miners have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year three times since its inception. It has also set a new Frontier League attendance record in 2007. For media inquiries concerning the Miners, please contact Mike Ventola, Director of Media Relations 618-998-8499 ext. 8547 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For ticket information please contact the Rent One Park Box Office at 618-998-8499. For any additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
Frontier League Stories from August 30, 2012
- RiverHawks Outslug Road Warriors 17-9, Earn Sweep - Rockford RiverHawks
- Windy City suffers 4-2 loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Comeback in Eighth; Win 5-4 - River City Rascals
- Otter Loss Prevents Team from Reaching .500 - Evansville Otters
- Miners Make It Tough on Boomers Heading to Final Series - Schaumburg Boomers
- Miners Avoid Sweep in Schaumburg - Southern Illinois Miners
- Sommo Sets Strikeout Record But Slammers Fall to Washington - Joliet Slammers
- Rogelio Noris Powers Grizzlies over Beach Bums; Magic Number Is One - Gateway Grizzlies
- Jacquot's Single Wins It for Freedom - Florence Freedom
- Gateway Salvages Series Finale in Slugfest - Traverse City Beach Bums
- CornBelters fall 1-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Santana and Herrera Receive Honors - Southern Illinois Miners
- August 30 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom's Arrojo Voted to All-Frontier League Team - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Chad Mozingo Name Frontier League All-Star - Schaumburg Boomers
- Guy Massaro Named Frontier League Groundskeeper of the Year - Joliet Slammers
- Beach Bums Top Frontier League Post-Season Awards - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers Receive Frontier League Postseason Awards - Lake Erie Crushers
- 'Belters Earn Post-Season Awards - Normal CornBelters
- Two Grizzlies Collect Frontier League Postseason Awards - Gateway Grizzlies
- Crushers Fall to ThunderBolts 9-5 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Freedom Outslug CornBelters - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.