Big Fourth Helps Goldeyes Down RailCatsAugust 22, 2012 - American Association (AA) Winnipeg Goldeyes
The Goldeyes went into Gary and put up five runs in the fourth inning, while starter Chris Salamida allowed only one run on eight scattered hits over seven complete innings as the Goldeyes whipped the Gary SouthShore RailCats 7-2 on Wednesday night.
With the win, the Goldeyes improved to 50-38 on the season and remained a game and a half ahead of St. Paul in the American Association Wild Card race.
Winnipeg opened the scoring in the first inning as leadoff hitter Mike Coles singled, went to third on a single by Price Kendall and scored on a single by Yurendell de Caster.
In the fourth, the Goldeyes broke it open. Luis Alen led off with a home run, then Kyle Day walked, Amos Ramon walked, Jose Duran struck out and Mike Coles flied out to center. Then Kendall singled home Day and de Caster singled home Ramon. But an error by the leftfielder Eric Suttle allowed Kendall to score and sent de Caster to third. Newcomer Barbaro Canizares then singled home de Caster and the Goldeyes had a 6-0 lead.
Gary scored a run in the bottom of the fourth, but the Goldeyes got it back in the fifth as the Goldeyes loaded the bases with two walks and a single and with nobody out, Alen scored as Duran hit into a double play.
Gary added a run off reliever Chris Allen in the eighth, but that's all they could muster.
Kendall, de Caster, Canizares and Day each had two hits for the Goldeyes as Winnipeg pounded out 11 hits. De Caster drove in two runs and Alen scored two.
Salamida (5-6, 3.86 ERA) got the win, while Alberto Rolon (1-1, 10.60 ERA), who gave up seven runs on nine hits over five complete innings, suffered the loss.
The Goldeyes and Gary play the final game of this three-game series Thursday afternoon at 12:10 p.m. The game can be heard live on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds calling the play-by-play. Matt Rusch (8-3, 2.65 ERA) will get the start for Winnipeg while Morgan Coombs (5-7, 5.16 ERA) will take the ball for Gary.
American Association Stories from August 22, 2012
- Saints Offense Rocks Boulders 9-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Take Series from RailCats in 7-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Battle Back to Beat RedHawks - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Big Fourth Helps Goldeyes Down RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Unveil End of the Season Promotions - Laredo Lemurs
- Laredo Lemurs in the Playoff Hunt - Laredo Lemurs
- Diablos Comeback on Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Author Becky Moen to Appear at Pheasants Game this Saturday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos Rally From Five Runs Down To Beat Wichita, Even Series - El Paso Diablos
- Pheasants Falter in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sheldon Superb as 'Dogs Handle Sioux Falls - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Moved to Laredo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pulsipher Leaves Team for Personal Reasons - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo Sox
- American Association Results - AA
- Lemurs Grind Out Win - Laredo Lemurs
- Lowey Ties League Record in Slugfest - Wichita Wingnuts
- Diablos Drop Slugfest To Wichita To Snap Three Game Win Streak - El Paso Diablos
- Explorers win 3-2 over Kansas City - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Clip AirHogs as Losing Streak Hits Four - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.