AirHogs Battle Back to Beat RedHawks
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Grand Prairie AirHogs scored two runs in the bottom of the sixth to take the lead and their bullpen pitched four shutout innings to beat the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks 8-5 on Wednesday night at QuikTrip Park.
For the first time in 10 days, the AirHogs (47-43) had a three-run lead, getting a two-out wild pitch by Jake Laber (6-6) followed by a two-run single by John Alonso to go up 3-0 in the first.
But the RedHawks (59-30) battled right back, taking advantage of some uncharacteristic wildness by Grand Prairie starter Alain Quijano in the second. Eric Campbell and Ryan Delgado started the inning with two singles, before Quijano kept them there with a pair of flyouts. But he then walked Marcos Rodriguez to load the bases, and after a close 2-2 pitch to Todd Jennings was called ball three, Quijano threw down and in to force in run.
After a ball to Zach Penprase, AirHogs manager Ricky VanAsselberg came out to settle things down, but after a brief conversation was ejected by home plate umpire Darin Herae after meeting with his players.
Penprase went on to hit a bases-clearing double over the leap of Brian Myrow to give Fargo-Moorhead the lead at 4-3, but Grand Prairie re-took the lead in the fourth.
Trent Lockwood walked to start the inning, and went to second on John Alonso's single. Jairo Perez tried to bunt the runners over, but Lockwood was thrown out at third by Laber, who went on to strike out Alberto Espinosa looking. But Yasutsugu Nishimoto bounced a single just past Penprase at short to tie the game, and Jonny Kaplan's single gave the AirHogs the lead again at 5-4.
Fargo-Moorhead tied it on a sacrifice fly by Eric Campbell in the fifth, but the RedHawks were held off the scoreboard the rest of the way by Derrick Miramontes (7-1), Ronnie Morales and Justin Dowdy, while Brian Myrow gave the AirHogs another insurance run with his 11th home run of the year.
With the win, the AirHogs stayed a game ahead of Laredo and a game and a half ahead of El Paso, who both won on Wednesday.
Notes: VanAsselberg's ejection was his sixth of the season.The AirHogs are now 1-5 against Fargo-Moorhead on the year.The RedHawks were held to five hits, and only Ryan Stovall had two.Nishimoto, Kaplan and Alonso each had two RBIs for Grand Prairie.Dowdy's save was his 16th of the season.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their three-game series against the Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks, on Thursday, August 23, at 7:05 p.m. It is Thirsty Thursday, with $2 beer specials. It is also Grand Prairie Parks and Recreation Night. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 22, 2012
- Saints Offense Rocks Boulders 9-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Take Series from RailCats in 7-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Battle Back to Beat RedHawks - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Big Fourth Helps Goldeyes Down RailCats - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Lemurs Unveil End of the Season Promotions - Laredo Lemurs
- Laredo Lemurs in the Playoff Hunt - Laredo Lemurs
- Diablos Comeback on Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Author Becky Moen to Appear at Pheasants Game this Saturday - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos Rally From Five Runs Down To Beat Wichita, Even Series - El Paso Diablos
- Pheasants Falter in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sheldon Superb as 'Dogs Handle Sioux Falls - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Jones Moved to Laredo - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pulsipher Leaves Team for Personal Reasons - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Amarillo Sox to be featured on "Great Food Truck Race" - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- American Association Results - AA
- Lemurs Grind Out Win - Laredo Lemurs
- Lowey Ties League Record in Slugfest - Wichita Wingnuts
- Diablos Drop Slugfest To Wichita To Snap Three Game Win Streak - El Paso Diablos
- Explorers win 3-2 over Kansas City - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Clip AirHogs as Losing Streak Hits Four - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs